Just installed Airport Extreme in a Mac Pro - Can't see N network?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JurgenWigg, Jan 23, 2013.

1. JurgenWigg, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013

JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

Hi all!

New living arrangement has caused some headaches with my Mac Pro (Early 2008, Quad Core Xeon). Too far from the router to inconspicuously run cable, and house doesn't have any network infrastructure.

Bought a Airport Extreme (0x14e4, 0x88) chip with Broadcom firmware (BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.36.16). Installed, bluetooth is working fine (that took awhile to troubleshoot), shows 802.11 a/b/g/n, can connect to several networks, but can't even see the 802.11n network my 2010 Macbook Pro is connected to at -79 dBm from the same spot.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

2. mike5411 macrumors regular

3. mike5411 macrumors regular

Also did you download the "airport extreme enabler?"

I recall reading that its needed for N mode but I'm not sure as I don't have a Mac Pro

4. JurgenWigg thread starter macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

I think I tried every combination of antenna. This is the only one that doesn't mess up bluetooth and maintains a strong connection. Now it's just a much slower connection than i'm used to on my laptop.

----------

Network utility tells me that it's good for a/b/g/n, so it sounds like it's active?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=660329 - Sounds like that shouldn't be the issue.

5. mike5411 macrumors regular

Hmm...

Which OS are you running?

Which router do you have?

Have you tried the Mac Pro closer to the router? I think the antennas are integrated into the bottom on the case so the signal is inherently a little poor poor. What happens if you put the Mac Pro on the desk or next to the router?