Just installed GM verion of 10.9 -- Not Bad!

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by elgrecomac, Oct 17, 2013.

1. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

I just installed the GM version of Mavericks and, as a constant bitcher of 10.8.4/5, well, this is, indeed, a breath of fresh air.
    First of all, I'm running 10.9 on a secondary firewire/800 connected disk on a 2008 MBP with 6 Gb of RAM and a 2.6 Ghz duo core processor. My initial observations:

1. Install took 45 minutes but was flawless.

2. Faster in almost every interaction between me and this 5 year old computer. I am coming from being totally pissed with 10.8.x so I have to admit I was a skeptic.

3. The integration between my MBP and my iDevices is really cool: maps, calendars, contacts etc.

4. And now iBooks works on a Mac. This was one of those ...WTF was Apple thinking by not including this in 10.8...or 10.7 for that matter. I can buy they book in iTunes but I can READ it on the device I ordered it on? Wow!

5. Memory management and power management is VASTLY improved, just as promised. For road warriors, this is a huge selling point all by themselves.

6. Oh, yeah, and the multiple display features are very cool!

The net-net for me: Stability and performance improvements are worth the upgrade. I can only imaging how well this will run on a more contemporary machine.

This is an evolutionary upgrade, not revolutionary. And that's OK by me.

2. Funkmasta macrumors member

I have a very similar setup (2.5ghz, 6gb ram, SSD) and can also report pretty impressive performance.

Even with older architecture, the SSD + 6GB ram is the best upgrade I've ever made. It really makes the old bitch move like new, and QUIET.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I noticed my clean install had more issues than my most recent 10.8.5 to 10.9 upgrade. Odd, but I am on 10.9 now with some minor bugs that I can tolerate.

4. MeUnix macrumors 6502

I feel the exact same way as the OP. I've been using Mavericks since DP3, but I have another MacBook with ML on it and I definitely prefer using Mavericks over ML.

I really enjoy the integration between my iDevice and my Mac too! It works great for me. Only problem I had was with Mail.app and my Gmail account; that issue was resolved by simply deleting my account and re-adding it to Mail.app.

Just my $0.02

- Kyle

5. Funkmasta macrumors member

I upgraded mine in place, I also have a few weird bugs but thankfully nothing serious.

Quick View is much slower than 10.8 for instance.

6. drayon macrumors 6502

Still on 10.6.8 Snow Leopard here. Have they decided to put back functions they removed after 10.6 such has, made ~/Library visible again, Safari's downloads window, Safari's View Source and Activity Windows, Colour in the Finder's Sidebar, reposition Devices back to the top of the Sidebar, all the Save, Save As, Save All key commands? Gosh, I run out of time to list all the other things missing, changed or removed.

7. kwokaaron, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013

kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

The library can be made visible by right clicking your home directory and selecting "Show View Options" then checking the "Show Library Folder" checkbox (no more terminal command needed!). Safari download window is still built into the main window and activity window is unfortunately still gone. View source can be activated by check boxing "Show develop menu in menu bar" under advanced in safari preferences. Click on "Develop" on the menubar and click show page source or right clicking the page itself. Finder sidebar is still monotone. Devices can be repositioned back to the top of the sidebar (I think it came back in Mountain Lion). And the Save As command can be reactivated by setting it in the keyboard settings within system preferences (Also came back in Mountain Lion) under the "App Shortcuts" section. Click the + button and set the menu title as "Save As..." and the keyboard shortcut of shift key, command key, "s" key.