Just installed Mac OSX... how can i get some of my settings back

Discussion in 'macOS' started by j37V, Nov 1, 2008.

1. j37V macrumors member

j37V

i use CCC to backup my prevous system so i have my back up copy handy. i want to know how i can restore some of my app settings from my back up. i have all my apps here although i need to update them...

aside from that what do i need to do to restore my settings from apps... and also the system preference settings. i wanted to clean the computer and start over but i want some of them back. ive looked in library folders but i dont really know what to do.

help is much appreciated.:cool:

2. goobimama macrumors regular

3. j37V thread starter macrumors member

j37V

so according to the article... i can just drag and replace the .plist files from my backup to where they are in the new settings and itll get them done?
    how about the dock and stuff like it??
    it wont change automatically will it?
    will it work when i reboot?

4. goobimama macrumors regular

Well I can't say for sure if this works the other way round. Actually, if you can boot via the CC drive, then you can use a MobileMe trial account to sync up preferences, keychains, addressbook and such between the two systems. And who knows, you might just like MobileMe!

5. j37V thread starter macrumors member

j37V

not thanks! i tried moblieme already and found it too faulty.
    but it isa good idea... lemme check somewhere else for it.
    thanks for your help anyway!!

6. goobimama macrumors regular

You can also use the Migration Assistant FYI to transfer settings from an older system to a new one. Not sure the exacts of it, but look into it.