Just installed the intel x25-m SSD in my 2.53ghz unibody mbp~

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Jan 7, 2009.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

All I can say is God DAMN... its fast.

Extracting files is so freakishly fast!! Transferring files from the Intel SSD to the 1TB is amazingly fast! Now this is what FW800 speeds should really be! I've never seen it this fast before and I came from a raptor drive from a 2.8ghz 8 core mac pro!

It feels like I have my mac pro back, actually even faster! I can run vmware fusion in the background and launch many many apps without any hiccups and its all so damn silky smooth, like anything I launch or throw at osx, the intel SSD handles it like its nothing.

All I can say is that it is hands down THE best upgrade I've ever done in my entire life. I can NEVER go back to conventional harddrives.

2. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Is 80 gigs the largest size of this brand/model of drive?

3. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I think so. Once they are available in 256GB (or more!) at about the same price I'll jump on board. I think traditional HDDs have <5 years of market life left.

To the OP -- Congrats on the new toy!!!!!

4. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

[​IMG]

Wow, results is 205 points!! I've seen a 2.66ghz mac pro score 185~ :eek:

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Shoot. Can I have some cash :)

Hrm...I might be able to get one with my tax cash since its almost get-back-my-money-from-an-interest-free-loan season...

6. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

[​IMG] I just installed the istat pro and looked at the SSD drives temperature... at 0 degrees~!!! :eek::eek::eek: And I've been running my mbp for 6 hours straight now d/ling alot of files and extracting 9gb files.

7. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Its only 80 gigs? THats rather low. I would fill that up in no time.

8. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Once again I have an external 1TB via fw800 that transfers freakishly fast from the intel SSD drive now!

60gb of free space is plenty for me on a notebook. =D

9. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

there is a 160GB one available for $799 on Newegg

10. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

It's an X25-M, what did you expect? Plus its SSD..

11. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

I had a question, what block size did you use for formatting? Thanks.

12. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

For Apps and your boot drive. That's really all that you need. He uses his external for all this storage needs. Besides there's always the idea of replacing the optical drive for a 500gb if you need internal storage if you want to make your laptop portable again :p.

Do you have n pre-x25 x-bench test? Pop in your stock drive and run the test again?

13. joeylang macrumors newbie

I want one of these so bad, but i think i am gonna wait until they go down in price a little. 799 for the 160gb one is a little redunkulous, i think i am gonna use that money to buy my 24" cinema display first. I dont think i could do with the 80gb, unless i could get the following to work and have a 500gb passport studio edition to carry with me.

How would you go about accessing your music and stuff from an external hdd. Would you just drag the folder with all your music from your itunes directory in finder and then re-add that folder to your itunes library from the external hdd?

Also, would there be a way to download podcasts and stuff directly to the external hdd, because i dont want to have to drag them all in there everytime i download one.

ALSO, could i have my pictures on it and they only show up when i have my external hdd plug in (in iphoto).

I dont know if any of this is possible lol, i really want a ssd, and i dont want a crappy one that wont even work much better than a 7200rpm hdd, but i have to be able to fit all my crap. Media is a big part of my life, so i need my stuff with me, which is why i woudl get a 500gb passport. I dont know if this would work or not though, it may just be too big a hassle that it woudlnt even be worth it.

14. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Hmm - your XBench scores are much better than that posted on Newegg's comment section on an C2D 2.0GHz:

Post SSD:
    Disk Test 169.00
    Sequential 105.83
    Uncached Write 121.22 74.43 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Write 108.47 61.37 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Uncached Read 63.00 18.44 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Read 224.44 112.80 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Random 419.27
    Uncached Write 551.58 58.39 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Write 200.52 64.19 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Uncached Read 1021.11 7.24 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Read 567.86 105.37 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Your numbers look closer to the Intel spec -

Does anyone have any idea why this XBench test is so much faster? Is it the SATA version?

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Hah 80 GB. That doesn't even fit my base installation programs!

Though on my tablet I do use a SSD. They are fast. SLC only.

16. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

From what I've gathered, XBench isn't consistent when testing SSDs.

17. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I'm pretty sure your istat pro isn't reading your SSD drive correctly. At 0 degrees whether C or F, thats freezing or below freezing temps and just common sense alone tells that isn't possible. SSD may not have any moving parts, but it still emits heat like everything else. Think about it, 0 degrees?

18. polaris20 macrumors 68020

It probably just doesn't know how to poll the drive correctly, that's all.

19. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

For those interested, I'll likely be buying this one within the next two weeks. It's ALMOST as fast as the OP's SSD in most tests and I believe slightly faster in a few. It's available for $500 here from Newegg.

Question to the OP - were you able to do any tests regarding power draw? I'm convinced about the performance, but I'm wondering if I will see any noticeable increase in battery life. Thanks!

20. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Wow! That looks really insanely fast! Wish I could have the money to burn as well :p But I'll wait for them to get 250GB. But if Intel goes on doubling like they are not (80 -> 160) then we might see a 320 one sometime soon!

21. Mueslimonster macrumors newbie

Wow, I want one of those so badly!

I've got one of the original MacBook Pros 2,16 Core Duo- am I likely to see similar gains in disk speed? I'm not sure whether I have a Sata2 on my MBP but probably not- Could this be a bottleneck?

BTW Kingston is now selling the Intel X25 under its own name as SSDNOW M. Those of you interested in buying one, might check whether there's a price discreprancy.

Tim

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

23. bcaslis macrumors 68020

There seem to a lot of different views on the g.skill drive. The reviews of it on newegg are terrible. And on some other forums some people say the drive is good while others claim it's terrible at "stuttering" like previous low-end drives.

I wish the Samsung 256GB SSD was available at retail. But they sell only to OEMs.

24. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

It looks like there's some mixed reviews on NewEgg - but this does look intriguing... Has anyone installed one of these on a MBP? Run XBench?

25. joeylang macrumors newbie

I just ordered my 80GB intel SSD and my 500GB WD Passport Studio w/ FW800, and i am super excited about getting everything working. It should all be in by wednesday at the latest, i will do some before and after xbench tests for yall if you would like. I CANNOT wait, my Macbook Pro could def use a little boost.