Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentLight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Okay, got my iphone 4--activated it, jb, and unlocked. But when I turn off wifi, I can't use T mobile's edge network for full web browsing. I get a message telling me that "Your subscription plan is not compatible with this device. Please click here to view plan options."

FYI--I did recently sign up for the $9.99 data plan.

How are others using the plan with their iphone? Thanks in advance for any help

powerbuddy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2006
The 9.99 plan from T-Mobile is not meant for smartphones. You need to purchase the 24.99 plan for smartphones in order for it work, and then goto the APN settings to enter the details for it to work.

Or, you could purchase Talk+Text+Web plan, and that should work fine as well. Call up T-mobile and purchase the smartphone plan, and they should also guide you with all the settings you need for the phone. Just let them know you are using an iPhone.

Here, http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/Non-T...phone-Internet-to-Work-on-T-mobile/td-p/66349 just thought I will throw this in here as well.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The 9.99 plan from T-Mobile is not meant for smartphones. You need to purchase the 24.99 plan for smartphones in order for it work, and then goto the APN settings to enter the details for it to work.

Or, you could purchase Talk+Text+Web plan, and that should work fine as well. Call up T-mobile and purchase the smartphone plan, and they should also guide you with all the settings you need for the phone. Just let them know you are using an iPhone.

Here, http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/Non-T...phone-Internet-to-Work-on-T-mobile/td-p/66349 just thought I will throw this in here as well.

False.
I know 2 people that use the 9.99 plan on Tmobile with iPhones.
You just need the correct apn entered.
I believe it was internet2.voicestream.com

powerbuddy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2006
False.
I know 2 people that use the 9.99 plan on Tmobile with iPhones.
You just need the correct apn entered.
I believe it was internet2.voicestream.com

Yeah good luck trying that, I did it and it gave me the same error. T-Mo checks the IMEI of the phone and re-directs that APN to ask you to upgrade to a higher plan.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Yeah good luck trying that, I did it and it gave me the same error. T-Mo checks the IMEI of the phone and re-directs that APN to ask you to upgrade to a higher plan.

My brother is using that plan for over a year now on his iPhone 3G with no problems or errors. Depending on the region u are located you need to try different apn settings to get it to work. So good luck nothing.

powerbuddy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2006
My brother is using that plan for over a year now on his iPhone 3G with no problems or errors. Depending on the region u are located you need to try different apn settings to get it to work. So good luck nothing.

You could be right. Let me investigate this issue, if you're right I could save by avoiding to pay extra 15$ to T-Mo every month.

Nick0912

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
I had the same problem with my 3GS and I have talk-txt-web. You have to type in epc.tmobile.com in apn setting under cellular data network I also had to install sbsettings to turn on edge. Hope this helps.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
You could be right. Let me investigate this issue, if you're right I could save by avoiding to pay extra 15$ to T-Mo every month.

Yep, give it a shot. It was giving me the same message about wrong data plan with other apn settings I tried but it end up working at the end. There's a bunch of different ones like wap.Tmobile.com also if I remember correct. It's a ripoff paying them $25 a month for edge data IMO.

powerbuddy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2006
Yep, give it a shot. It was giving me the same message about wrong data plan with other apn settings I tried but it end up working at the end. There's a bunch of different ones like wap.Tmobile.com also if I remember correct. It's a ripoff paying them $25 a month for edge data IMO.

I will not disagree with you on this one. It is!

SilentLight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
I had the same problem with my 3GS and I have talk-txt-web. You have to type in epc.tmobile.com in apn setting under cellular data network I also had to install sbsettings to turn on edge. Hope this helps.

So far I have tried using the epc.tmobile.com, internet2.voice..., wap..., but still can't get through and get the same "need to upgrade message." I also installed sbsettings, but I have no idea how to launch or access it.

For those who are using the $9.99 t mobile plan, could you share your settings and what you installed to get it working?

Nick0912

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
So far I have tried using the epc.tmobile.com, internet2.voice..., wap..., but still can't get through and get the same "need to upgrade message." I also installed sbsettings, but I have no idea how to launch or access it.

For those who are using the $9.99 t mobile plan, could you share your settings and what you installed to get it working?

After you install sbsettings swipe by the time on the status bar and it will show.

SilentLight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
After you install sbsettings swipe by the time on the status bar and it will show.

thank you!

Wow...I finally go it to work!!!
For anyone else struggling with this issue, here is what I did:

1. Installed SBSettings (search for it on Cydia)
2. Turn off 3G in the network setting, and leave on data roam
3. Used http://www.unlockit.co.nz to add a profile with the APN internet2.voicestream.com
4. Turn off then back on. Turn off wifi and use Safari.

Thanks for all the replies and contributions. Glad I don't have to pay $25 for Edge service!

Nick0912

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
thank you!

Wow...I finally go it to work!!!
For anyone else struggling with this issue, here is what I did:

1. Installed SBSettings (search for it on Cydia)
2. Turn off 3G in the network setting, and leave on data roam
3. Used http://www.unlockit.co.nz to add a profile with the APN internet2.voicestream.com
4. Turn off then back on. Turn off wifi and use Safari.

Thanks for all the replies and contributions. Glad I don't have to pay $25 for Edge service!

That's basically what I did also but idk why you had to turn wifi off.

powerbuddy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2006
Can you tether with this 9.99 plan using MiWi or something else? Just called up T-Mo.... taking me off the unlimited ripoff plan when the next billing cycle rolls.

SilentLight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Can you tether with this 9.99 plan using MiWi or something else? Just called up T-Mo.... taking me off the unlimited ripoff plan when the next billing cycle rolls.

that's good news!

applejuice, thanks for helping out this newb!

Eric Noa

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2008
Hey guys,

I was using the $9.99 plan with my iPhone 3G for over a year with no problems. Now I have an iPhone 4 and I was able to use EDGE with the $9.99 plan for like a day and I was even able to use tethering but then it stopped working... I haven't been able to find anything that works ever since.

Eric Noa

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2008
Right now my EDGE is working with the $9.99 Data plan... it comes and goes when ever in wants to....:mad::mad::mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.