Just knocked water onto my MacBook pro in my sleep - turned ITSELF off immediately..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maddi86, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Maddi86 macrumors newbie

Guys!!
    I've woken up find that I've spilt water onto my 4month old MacBook pro on my sleep! As soon as I've done it I've woken up - its turned itself off straight away tho.
    I've mopped up all the water..
    It was connected to power cord which was still showing a green light .. I hb's disconnected the power cord.
    I've laid it up side down as much as I can.. It's in an upside down v shape.
    I've read on here to take out battery however ita a brand new model and I can not do so.

Please please PLEASE help me..

What do i do?
    Should I take it to apple tomoro an have them look at it?
    Given that it wa a water spillage I doubt they will fix it under warranty!

Will it come back to life? Is there anything I can do?

Please help me, my boyfriend bought it for me and I think he will probably kill me for having accidentally ruined it in my sleep!!!

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Dont turn it on, let it dry a few days then check it out. Sounds like its going to be dead though.

3. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

I would put it in a zip lock baggie with rice and let it dry for 24hours before attempting to turn it on.

4. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

The RICE in a ziplock bag is the best idea.
    Rice absorbs moisture and should help. Water is probably the least fatal of the liquids as it doesn't corrode electronics as easily as something with sugar in it.

Don't be tempted to turn it on!!
    The longer you leave it with Rice, the better the probablity it has of surviving!

5. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Put it in a big bag of rice... and pray.

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Rice and Apple products are like peanut butter and jelly on this forum :eek:

7. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Do this, It'll probably give you the best chance of saving the system.

8. Maddi86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay guys, thanks for the rice tips..
    Since posting inwas able to remove the back cover with the tiniest screwdriver.. I can't take the battery out as it's connected to wires..
    It's currently sitting with the exposed underneath part facing the roof under a ceiling fan..
    Should I replace the bottom panel (which is removed) and place it in a bag of rice??

Everywhere else suggest what I'm currently doing!!

And just to clarify, if the charger is was still showing a green light.. Wouldn't that be a good indication of it not being dead???

So now - do I leave to dry without back panel under fan or so I cover it back up and put in rice??
    I know rice works for iPhones but is it going to work for a mbp?

Thank u in advance!!!!!!!

9. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

Oh i really hope you have disconnected the power!
    Don't open any electronic item without unplugging it from the wall!

You can try using a hair dryer with the lowest heat setting to try and dry it since you have opened it. (You do not want it to get TOO hot in there. A dryer can get hot enough to start melting things, so be careful with this one.)

After doing that i would still suggest you put the bottom back on and put it in a ziplock bag with Rice for a while. Whatever you do, do not try to turn it on for AT LEAST 24 hours. I would personally side with caution and try not turning it on for 48 hours.

10. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

The key is patience. By the sound of it, I'd use the rice method suggested and wait a bare minimum of 5 days. Unlike a cell phone, there's a lot of places for water to get trapped. It's going to take awhile to dry it.

11. Maddi86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Absolutely I unplugged the power cord.. It was just that I noticed that the light was still green even tho the laptop had powered itself off. I unplugged it straight away!!
    I'm letting it breath under the ceiling fan to try to evaporate any moisture left I there.
    Thank u for the link to fixing mbp after spilling however I can't remove the battery.

Should I take it to apple store tomoro or is there absolutely no chance that they could do anything for me???

12. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

Never hurts to try, but I wouldn't count on them doing anything for free.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They can fix it, but it will cost you, since the warranty doesn't cover accidents.

14. tjb1 macrumors 68000

They wont do anything to it under warranty because of the water damage...you can take the battery out you just need a special screwdriver.

15. LiquidSpikes macrumors regular

LiquidSpikes

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You need to disconnect the battery, since that is a power source.

you need to let it dry out for a few days before attempting to fire it up.

This is probably a very expensive lesson, but don't
    1. sleep with your laptop
    2. keep the laptop near water
    3. keep the laptop on the floor (near water)

My MBP is up on a laptop stand, and I don't let any drinks near that area of my desk. If something is spilt it will no way come near the laptop.

17. Maddi86 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been able to take the screws out from battery however ita still connected by wires so I can not remove it completely.. I've been able to keep it upright out of its socket under the fan to allow maximum drying..

What's the rough cost of having it repaired seeing as it won't be covered?
    What am I looking at here? What exactly has happened? Would it be cheaper to find a comp tech and have them fix it?

I've read on other forums that other peoples MVP have worked without a problem after a few days and also that in some cases apple has been very nice and fixed it free of charge..

This is brand new and I've learnt my lesson.. No sleeping with computer and cups of water near each other..

What are my chances of it working after a few days.. Especially as my charge light was still on when it happened when others have said theirs wasn't and it still came good??

18. barmann macrumors 6502

Don't panic, let it dry; put it in a sunny spot, or on a heater.
    Take a hair dryer to it, full blast .

It's just water; juice or beer would be a lot worse, the gooey stuff is what kills, it doesn't evaporate and leaves you with perma-shorts.

iFixit has guides on how to disassamble an MBP, can't hurt.
    Well it can, but ...

19. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

We can't diagnose your machine over the interwebz but it it doesn't come on, you might as well be looking at a full logic board replacement, which could cost several hundred dollars. Then again, they could give you the 'flat rate' deal which is about $300 bucks and there are several reports of it here.
    Then again, depending on how...erm...friendly you are , you could get them to do it for free.

So the range of repair cost could be Free -to- The cost of a new macbook pro.

20. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

this is like CPR for laptops :O

also the motherboard is probably damaged or will break within a few months.

21. applefieddarwin macrumors newbie

you did the right thing so far. Leave everything unplugged (including the power cord) and just leave it alone for a few days. to get the water out faster/dry faster, unscrew the whole bottom plate.

22. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

DO NOT DO THIS!

Just leave it open for a few days or put it in a bag of rice for a few days. Either way, it's going to take time, do not rush it...

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Extremely bad advice, unless your goal is to ruin your computer!

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed.

The only time, I'd go with that option is as a last resort, that is, its already dead (and let it dry for a long, long long time), and with the hope of resurrecting it