Just leave

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I don't get why people who leave social media, either for a little break or for good, have to first post a manafesto about why they are leaving. I get a simple post if you are shutting down your facebook just to tell people you didn't block them (which people could be upset about) but why the speech? Even people here who take a break from PRSI have to post new threads announcing that they are leaving for a month or forever. What's the point? Do they think that people are going to cry when they realize some anonymous poster hasn't said anything in a while? Is it one last "the world revolves around me" post? Is it a "I have better things to do then waste my time with you people because I'm better than you" post?

2. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Social media being a microcosm of a society...

At least social media can profiteer. True societies cannot.

3. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

5. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Because social media is a narsicism machine. People need the attention and the validation from others.

This site is the only social media footprint I have.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2016 ---
    I say this all the time.

6. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

We're not all entirely anonymous here. We may not know each other's real names, but some of us more prorific posters do nevertheless develop some familiarity with each other. It's just part of our nature as humans. Thus if say Jkceria suddenly stopped posting without warning for a long time, I probably would worry.

7. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Well said. Reminds me of when people brag about their ignore list. It's as if either of these groups is saying:

"I've come here to proudly tell you that I am not listening to you."

8. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I worry about @jkcerda even when he is posting.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Guys - after deep introspection, and a lot of thought in the matter, I have decided that I will not leave this group, that I will be more active than ever, and that @jkcerda is the new prince of darkness.

10. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

When I did this a couple years ago, it was more a vehicle of protest. I had been temporarily banned for a BS reason and figured I'd finally had enough with the absolute crap (and horribly biased) moderating.

My thread was outlining my reason for stepping away; hoping to spark a conversation among remaining members. I also fully expected to be banned for discussing moderation.

I wasn't banned, my residency work load lightened up (or I just got more efficient with it) and came back.

I don't post as often as I used to; and I did just get temporarily banned again for a stupid reason (and one I've seen other left-leaning folks do since that time without being punished). I'm over it; PRSI can't be saved. It's best I just accept it for what it is; a horribly moderated hogwallow, that's terribly addicting to read.

11. nfl46 macrumors 603

Yeah, I don't get it either. I don't post in this section as much as I used to, but I wouldn't create a topic telling everyone I am taking a break from it. Lol.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

welcome back.

anyways , sometimes we wonder why xx is no longer here so a post might answer why.

13. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Would you worry about me?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2016 ---
    Off topic: I just received a "trophy" saying that I can access the 'marketplace'. What and where is that?

14. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Post count.

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

They make the mistake of thinking that people care about their ideals. Chalk it up to snowflake status.

16. samcraig macrumors P6

Probably because people have a level of narcism. We live in a society of over-sharing. And people love validation.

Ironically, I often refer to social networks as anti-social networks as it has increasingly replaced true social face-to-face interactions.

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

This isn't always true.

I left the political discussions. I rarely post there anymore.

Just cause. No manifesto. No long story.

Have a nice day.

18. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Interesting ... never really paid that much attention. When I shuttered my FB page, I just did it. No notice, no fanfare, just a strip and close down. Not deleted; just shuttered.

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I would think half the people who impulsively leave social media over something will return when they realize there problems didn't originate there.

Although a interesting phenomenon is occurring with social media. People start comparing their lives to others and feel sad. Not taking into account that you're only seeing a highlight reel of their life and thinking the whole thing is that way.

Yes take a break from social media. But don't have a tantrum and leave it.... unless you're Andrew Weiner.

BTW my comments aren't aimed at anyone here but for discussion sake.

20. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Came here thinking it was a thread about all the celebs that will be leaving the country if Trump wins.

A bit disappointed. :)

21. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Here's a short list:

• Lena Dunham
    • Samuel L. Jackson
    • Miley Cyrus
    • Cher
    • Jon Stewart
    • Raven Symone
    • Natasha Lyonne
    • Omari Hardwick
    • Spike Lee
    • Chloë Sevigny
    • Eddie Griffin
    • George Lopez
    • Al Sharpton
    • Neve Campbell
    • Rosie O'Donnell
    • Whoopi Goldberg
    • Chelsea Handler

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

You didn't notice @aaronvan is back from a vacation?

@jkcerda has resumed building taco trucks and will soon be the king of kings in taco distribution to the northeast. I am counting on this to get me through the winter, which officially starts this weekend when the clocks fall back :mad: and it's pitch dark before dinner.

On thread topic: I think it's good if people say when they're bailing out for awhile. Otherwise we might start hunting around trying to figure out where the brawl was when they were officially disappeared...

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Is there a list of Republicans that are "leaving" if Hillary wins? I know that Rush Limbaugh said he would move to Costa Rica if Obamacare passed, but yet he is still here! And ironically Costa Rica has socialized healthcare. People really shouldn't state things they have no intention of following through on.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG]

25. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Nope. If she wins she'll be impeached within months. We all want to see that.