Just like the rest of us, NJ Teacher's Union head makes 550k PER YEAR

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

http://www.businessinsider.com/head...aid-over-twice-as-much-as-the-governor-2010-9

I am so glad they are just like us, you know, the little people.

NJEA director Vince Giordano received $421,615 in salary and $128,508 in deferred compensation last year, according to tax filings released last spring.

NJEA president Barbara Keshishian earned $256,450 last year. VP Wendell Steinhauer and Secretary-Treasurer Marie Blistan were paid $170,974 each.

I really hope Christie keeps busting their balls. I wonder how the teachers feel about these expenditures or do most just turn away and shrug?

2. Queso macrumors G4

Are we to take it you're in favour of salary caps then?

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Sure, those salaries are higher than I'd like to see.

But while the teachers are state workers, I don't think their union bosses are.

So, now you want to regulate private sector wages?

Cool... let's go after some CEOs.

4. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

The state could prohibit public sector employees from unionizing....

But I am hardly concerned about new jersey....

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

On what basis?

6. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

From Heritage "Collective bargaining, the anti-trust exemption at the heart of a union’s power, was created to help workers seize their “fair share” of business profits. But if a union ends up extracting a contract from a private firm that eats up too much of the profits, then that firm will be unable to reinvest those profits and will lose out to competitors. But when a union extracts a generous contract from a government, the answer is always higher taxes or borrowing to pay for the bloated spending"

It is a stupendous conflict of interest...

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Okay.

You win.

Let's just outsource those jobs to India.

8. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

We could have teachers in India video-conference with students here. Maybe something like that will be the future. Done through computers or some new technology. No more "live" teachers. They may even eliminate government laws that require schooling anyway so it may be a moot point.

9. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Like in that george clooney movie when they start firing people over video chatting!

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Who's just like us, union leaders? :confused:

11. PerfSeeker macrumors 6502a

And so goes the non-sensical, non-sequitor, blue-in-the face, knee-jerk, defend the unions at all costs mentality. :D:D

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Its a good counter to your well thought out knee jerk anti union at all costs posts, don't you think?

Have you looked in a mirror recently at all?

As for my opinion on the topic, all unions are different, and if this one isn't functioning in the best interest of its members in a fashion that asks way too much, then it should be reformed.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Speaking of knee-jerk... :rolleyes:

And that reform would come through the union's membership... if and when they decided their best interests weren't being met.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I agree, but it's rare in life that you'll find a collective bunch that won't try to get as much as they can for as little as possible. Human nature, really.

I'm in full favor of unions provided they don't go overboard, but the same can be said for just about any collective group looking for fairness.

15. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Don't they need to pay top dollar to attract the best talent for the position?