Just lost my new iphone 4 & very sad.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cnnz, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Cnnz macrumors newbie

My parents just bought me my first smartphone, the iphone 4. I'm staying(as a student) in a pretty upscale condo alone, and I'm a freshman in college. However I stupidly left my car unlocked and got my iphone 4 stolen, surprisingly. My dad called at&t and apple, and apple blocked the phone from use and I'm getting a new sim card from at&t tomorrow for my old non-smartphone.

I also have a friend here that I met and he works at apple. Is there anyyyyyy way I could buy an iphone 4 with the renewal contract price? I just got the iphone and renewed the contract in the first week of August. Would there be any way apple would be kind enough to allow me to buy the iphone for a special contract price(we only paid 50$ with 2 year contract). I'm willing to pay 100-300$ or possibly 400$ for it. But I really don't want to shell out 600$ for it..

2. acorntoy, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012

acorntoy macrumors 65816

You will be able to find a bunch of them on eBay/amazon for $200-300 and possibly less after the new iPhone announcement, just make sure they state the phone is for AT&T, and when it comes just cut the sim or get a micro sim for the phone and it'll work the same

3. note235 macrumors 6502a

micro

4. Cnnz thread starter macrumors newbie

I meant a new one, unfortunately. I really don't want a used one as they tend to have scratchs/marks on them.

The one I had was kept in perfect condition and I cased it right away.

This really sucks that apple cant do anything to trace it or even the at&t company. I had the find my iphone app but the phones battery was dead.

How much will apple sell the iphone 4 once the 5 comes out?

5. acorntoy macrumors 65816

Depends, if it becomes apples next extreme budget phone like the 3Gs currently is it might be $375 unlocked.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That is a tough break, OP. If you paid using a credit card, the card issuing company may provided accidental loss or theft protection and replace the phone. Have your dad look into it if he paid.

If they can't do anything you have 3 choices:

1. Get a used one from ebay or Craigslist. There should be plenty coming on the market soon.

2. Use your old non-smartphone.

3. Save up, and purchase another one on your own.

7. Cnnz, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

Cnnz thread starter macrumors newbie

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Possibly, but you should ask your friend if he/she can help you out.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, it will be $649 or in 6 months you will be eligable for an early upgrade at $450.

Neither Apple or AT&T is in the business of searching for lost or stolen phones.
    Next time be more carefull with your own items.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

More like stupidly left the iPhone in the car. Don't leave valuables in the car unlocked or not.

11. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

Sorry you had to learn a hard lesson that way but these days thieves recognize the value of the Apple logo and will steal these items any opportunity that they get. I keep my iPhone in sight just about 24/7.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

13. aristobrat macrumors G5

Apple has zero say in how much your carrier charges you for a phone under contract.

During the sales process, their systems talk to your carriers, and they charge you what your carrier tells them to.

It's ATT that would need to be kind to you.

As already mentioned, see if your parents paid for your phone with a card that offers the 90-day protection plan.

14. dotme macrumors 6502a

I can imagine you feel all kinds of disappointment and it's an adjustment to be away from home too. All I can say is don't assume used phones will have scratches. Some phones will be immaculate even if a year or more old. The advice to wait a few weeks and buy after the next iPhone launches is good. And if you had a data plan, have AT&T kill that until you need it. That can save some money too.

Craigslist deals can allow you to inspect before you buy, but if you go that route, have the seller meet you inside an AT&T store so AT&T can verify it's really an AT&T phone before you buy. Always meet somewhere public and safe.

Good luck!

15. vampireszombies macrumors 6502

Not all used iPhones are going to have scratches. Just read the description, and if applicable look at the pictures of what your buying. I've bought an iPhone 4 from Amazon Used-Like New for about $310 early 2012 and it looked brand new. (I can't stand scratches either)

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I agree, these are three excellent choices.

Especially #3. That choice has served me well, for many years.

17. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

buy a used one, it sounds like you have a pretty nice life other than losing the phone. You'll survive

18. nostresshere macrumors 68030

1 - you left the phone in the car - you never, ever leave stuff in the car. Hello?

2 - you left the car unlocked. Sort of a bad thing, but really bad when you leave stuff in it.

3 - YOU were bad, but you think Apple or the phone company should help you out? It does not work that way.

4 - You don't want a used phone now? Poor you.

Sorry. Many things more to say, but won't go there.

19. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

Feel your pain there. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do.
    I carried 2 phones with me. A blackberry and an iPhone. Went to the restroom and left my 4S on the counter, thinking that I got it in my pocket, turned out there was only a BB in it. Not even 10 mins and I ran back in. It's gone. Phone was turned off. Tracked using findmyiphone apps, it showed up on maps. Sent messages to the phone asking to return it but was ignored (I expected it, but had to try). Got myself a new 4S after that, but still very pissed til now :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I've had so many phones, that's the first time and the most expensive (I think) one that I've lost. And it was in a perfect condition too!

20. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

That sucks. You should talk to your sales rep. to see if they can do anything about that. Something you might be able to do is ask them about adding insurance to the line since you just bought that phone 2 weeks ago, it covers theft, though there is no guarantee about that.

21. xRYD3Rx macrumors 6502

22. walie macrumors 6502a

pay up. daddy can afford it.

23. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I was in the same situation a few weeks ago as my iPhone 4 was pickpocketed from my person. They knew how to disable findmyiphone and turned the unit off before I could ring it.

After feeling like crap I went ahead and visited my local network shop and bought the 4s outright for £499.00 GBP

Luckily I had the disposable income at that time.

Now my iPhone remains in a hard leather case whilst in my jeans pocket and never again in a holster !

I hope you manage to obtain another iPhone that suits your pocket and aesthetic standards.

24. Skika macrumors 68030

I got my iPhone 4 stolen a month and so back. I went to my carrier and they said they can put a trace on the IMEI of it becomes active in the network it will show up. Couple days ago i just got a letter saying that my phone is having regular activity and that i should take this document to the police. I went now they are in the works of bringing it back.