Just made the switch from PC to Mac. An introduction of me, myself and my macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Sfen, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Sfen macrumors newbie

Sfen

Hi all, I just registered so I figured I'd introduce myself.

I've been following this forum for over 2 months now and I'm proud to say that it helped me to finally make the decision to buy a mac. I've always been an iPod-fanatic but a completely new OS seemed like a very drastic change. I recently moved houses and now I live about 200 metres from an apple store, so I guess it was just a matter of time before I caved in :).

Now that I've been using my new laptop for about a week I can honestly say that I've never enjoyed using a computer as much as I do now. I'm already getting frustrated when using my PC (a Dell Inspiron 1525) to transfer files because it doesn't function as fluently as my mac, I believe that this is a good sign ;).

What I like the most about my new machine are the multi-touch gestures on the trackpad and the very good battery life (I can easily watch over 3.5 hours of video with Airport turned off and low light conditions. Coming from barely 1h15 of word processing on my Dell, I can say that I'm quite impressed). I'm also a lot more productive on this computer than I ever was on any other laptop, I don't know what it is but i'm guessing it has something to do with the fullscreen option in Pages '09. Also, the backlit keyboard is incredibly useful when instant messaging in my room in the middle of the night without my parents knowing, or typing in dark lecture halls.

Overall, this is without a doubt the best computer I have ever owned and I'm hoping that it will last me a good amount of time because I payed for it myself, my parents were against this purchase because the previously mentioned Dell computer that we own is just over 8 months old... Oops.

I'm not gonna elaborate too much anymore, I've already written more than I had expected, yet I do have a few questions, probably things that I could find on the internet easily but since I'm already typing this message I might as well ask some experienced mac users.

1) Allthough I don't miss Vista at all, I do wonder if there is a mac alternative for the delete button in text editors?
    2) I spend a lot of time talking to my closest friend through video chat on skype. Now especially when I'm eating something (since my macbook has amazing battery life, I take it with me through the entire house whilst talking to her, also during my meals, as I mentioned we talk a lòt.), I notice that, inevitably, my screen gets dirty and there's a few tiny dots on my screen that the provided cleaning cloth doesn't seem to be able to erase. I understand that this is a minor issue but I want to keep my new machine as pretty as possible since it's gonna be with me for hopefully a long time, so any suggestions are welcome!
    3) On the topic of cleaning my computer, I also have to say that the cloth does get my keyboard neat after a long day (or night) of typing, but the palmrests already seem to be permanently marked. Normally I'd experiment with this sort of things but I just don't wanna mess anything up, since this is how i screwed up my Dell's screen. So I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me which is the most effective way to clean this.

Well, I believe that's about it, I hope I didn't consume too much of your time, and you'll probably see me around on the forum from now on, have a nice life y'all!

Sfen.

2. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    #1 I don't think i know what you are talking about
    #2&3 I swear by iKlear,(available at the Apple Store)Spray it on a micro-fiber cloth not the machine itself. if the spots are dust, behind the screen, go back to the Apple store and tell them

3. dcubed20 macrumors member

#1: command-delete gives you the delete you're looking for.

4. Styxie macrumors member

On my PowerBook G4, delete has the shortcut Fn+backspace

5. vilim12 macrumors regular

Off topic, but I wish I lived 200 meters from an Apple store. id be there everyday

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. FN+DELETE does the backwards delete.

2. Have you checked for dead pixels or stuck pixels?

3. Sweat does that. You can use very lightly damped paper towel to clean and dry paper towel to dry. Works on my MBP.

7. raremage macrumors 6502a

If I'm reading you correctly, I think you're asking if there's a way to have both backspace and delete key functions on you Mac, as you had in Windows? Very common question among switchers, the answer is yes.

Backspace on Windows is Delete on Mac
    Delete on Windows is FN+Delete on Mac

Takes a little getting used to, but after a little while it becomes second nature.