Carrier Just moved from Sprint to Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sup3rknova, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Sup3rknova macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

Ordered the 5c for my wife last night I will get a 5s for myself. New to Verizon. Loved Sprints unlimited but speed was stupid bad. Havent been on capped data in a long time. I get worried about overages. My wife uses on average maybe 3/4 of a GB. I use about 1.5/2GB. For now I choose the 6GB shared plan to be safe but I can lower it, plus I get a nice 17% discount from my employer. Whats everyone elses GB use? Should I be worried? LOL I dont stream music outside of my home WIFI or stream movies.

2. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Congrats, you moved to the superior network. I will say that coming from the iPhone 4S to the iPhone 5 my data usage did approx. double because of the LTE data speeds. Obviously your results may be different, but that is what happened to me. I am a "power user" i guess and I used 3GB on 3g and when I got LTE I used about 6-7 GB.

3. Sup3rknova thread starter macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

So if you load a webpage using LTE or 3G the usage is more? I dont understand. Or do you mean since its faster you actually used it more?

4. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Volume of data is same regardless of the speed. Since its quicker to stream, you might watch more youtube vids as opposed to watching 2 clips and be done since it was so slow to load while on Sprint. If your habit of data usage doesn't change, then your data usage won't change.

5. donkeycrushr, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013

donkeycrushr macrumors member

Yeah I am looking to switch from sprint to either att or verizon as well having data and text problems in my area (South Florida). I am going have to pay etf for 12months.

Anyone know if you are about to go over your data does att or verizon notify you as a warning?

6. rocksyoursock macrumors regular

rocksyoursock

Volume of data changes with speed for audio and video. Watching a 1 hour low quality show on Netflix on 3G uses way less data than a 1 hour show streamed in HD to your device. Same with YouTube videos. Higher bit rates equal more data.

7. mdcosta911 macrumors member

mdcosta911

Congrats. I'm also switching from Sprint and moving to T-Mobile. It's been a year of H$LL with Sprint!! T-Mobile has excellent HSPA+/LTE coverage where I am. my coworker was getting 20mbps down with 2-3 bars of T-mo LTE inside our building which even weakens the signal!

8. Sup3rknova thread starter macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

Everyone has explained it. Thanks! I may use it slightly more. But I doubt anymore than what I already do.

9. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

That's what we all say until we see our data usage on the first bill. :p

10. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

I get the same speeds on Sprint with 2-3 bars of LTE.

11. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

No, honestly I think it was because, I know this sounds cheesy, but because the data was faster, it was more enjoyable to use the phone on the internet. So I use it more. I rarely stream music or watch videos, but I just used it more.

12. blahbrah macrumors 6502

As a current Sprint customer I'm amazed you could even get 4GB in a month on those 3G speeds.

13. Kal~El macrumors member

Best thing i did was leave sprint. Having unlimited data is nice but what good is it if you can't use it. Have verizon now and can use my phone.

14. Mrbobb macrumors 601

This is not your first rodeo, you should know, on average what your usage is. The carrier gives you that information right?

15. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I'm usually at about 80% of my 2 GB but I never turn wifi off so I'm always connected at work and home. iOS 7 has definitely upped my usage, though. Don't know why or how but it's definitely since iOS 7.

16. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Not sure if this is helpful or not but I am grandfathered on a verizon unlimited account and with LTE I am using 2-3 GB per month (4+ when I travel) versus less than 1GB when I was on verizon 3G. I can contribute my extra usage to the fact that verizon LTE is much better than verizon 3G. But one thing I've noticed is that verizon LTE is getting a bit congested and during peak times my speeds drop significantly.