Just moved to the US and Mac Book Pro stole at Airport!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by I need my Pro, Mar 29, 2009.

1. I need my Pro macrumors newbie

Hi

I moved to the US from the UK today with my hubby and daughter. My husband caught a bus at Hartsfield Jackson Intl Arpt to the car hire place whilst my daughter and I waited for our luggage. He sat in the front near the driver and left my 9 month old lap top on the bus. He called the bus company but they say they hven't seen it and it hasn't been handed in.

I have just had to leave all my family behind and am 7 months pregnant and now my only lifeline to my family has been stolen. I was looking forward to ichatting with my family. I am so upset and don't know what to do! I don't have the serial number or any other details about the laptop with me right now.

Why couldn't someone have just handed it in!!!!!

I had not put a password on the machine. The thief has access to all my details and centimental photos of my darling daughter. I don't know what to do.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Thankyou!

2. belvdr macrumors 601

Call the police. I don't see any other course of action here.

3. lazydesi macrumors 6502

regarding the serial number, at the time of registering your product online , apple will send a confirmation email to your registered email with serial number.

so check that email for serial no first and we can try to help you with that serial no

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do but file a police report giving them the serial number.

Hopefully you had your stuff backed up. Very sorry to hear this I have also been a victim of a stolen MacBook. Really sucks. :mad:

5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

For people who do this crap, there is a type of computer fail-safe that incorporates a small process that always runs in the background of the computer from the moment it loads the OS, and will check with an online server to see it the laptop it is running on has been reported missing. Then, the program will contact and give the location or some other crap which will help track the laptop down... I wish that they would hurry up and get on with finishing it. Really scks are your Macbook Pro, though.

6. acurafan macrumors 6502a

damn, that really sucks.

unfortunately, there is not much to go by, so i hope the person who took it goes and does the right thing...hopefully you also had a backup *sigh*

7. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Email yourself and tell your story and offer a reward no questions asked. Maybe they will read your emails, feel bad, and return it?

8. Hopsdaballa04 macrumors regular

Nigerian scam!

This seems like a good ol' Nigerian scam!!! A moderator should delete this thread...

9. I need my Pro thread starter macrumors newbie

One thing I forgot to mention is that my laptop is linked to my iMAC. Can this help? Only thing is the shippment of my belongings won't happen until this Friday. Can I track my machine somehow? I can't find the email to which I registered my laptop :-(

10. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

Eh, probably not. If you bought Apple Care for it, the serial number will be online in your apple account where registered hardware for Apple Care is.

11. belvdr macrumors 601

What and who are they scamming? They aren't asking for money or anyone's personal help. It's just asking for advice.

12. I need my Pro thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the sympathy 'Hops'!!!!

Here I am googling everything under the sun to help me get my laptop back and here you are calling my genuine thread a 'scam'. I need some helpful advice....not comments like yours!

How would you feel, if you were in my situation? Think about that for a minute!

I don't think I would be this upset if I had just put a password on my laptop. Well this a lesson learn't, I guess.

13. sal macrumors 6502

sorry to hear about this.

fyi
    password wouldn't have helped you either. very easy to pop in a OSX cd in there and reset password.

14. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

You should have installed loJack for laptops on your mac. that way, you can technically never lose it.

15. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Sorry for your loss - perhaps some of the suggestions will be of some help.

This is not the Welcome to the United States you would want - but Welcome anyway :D

And - while it does not help your situation any - I would consider your Mac as having been lost as opposed to stolen. Some choice words for your Hubby :eek:

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

you need a time-out

17. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Welcome to America. The bus driver is probably enjoying his new Mac Pro as we speak. :(

18. aethelbert macrumors 601

You may wish to report the matter to the Atlanta Airport Police Department if the rental lot is on airport property. However, there will probably be very little that they can do for you. The computer was not stolen, it was found. If for some reason it pops up on airport property, then they can contact you. But there is no criminal to pursue here as it was honestly just an act of negligence. Best of luck in your new home; maybe the computer will show up in the future.

19. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

One other thought - those companies often have video cameras on-board.

Call the company and see if..........

20. aethelbert macrumors 601

Even if they did have a camera on board, it is not their business to pursue whoever took it unless it was the driver. While the situation is unfortunate, it seems that someone is just playing a game of 'finders keepers,' which is by no means illegal.

Also, I do remember reading a story recently about someone who was able to trace a stolen mac with mobileme as both computers were connected. If that is what you mean saying that the two are linked, then you might have luck using that feature if the thief has been stupid enough to keep that data on.

21. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

It's called Undercover. Run it on my MBP.

Really, really sorry to hear about this.

22. gerbilbox macrumors regular

I'm so sorry to hear. I'm hoping to buy a new MacBook Pro soon to replace a stolen one, but I've been doing research on recovery options. Orbicule's Undercover seems like a very promising program that runs in the background that helps track a stolen laptop. It won't help you now, but it's something to keep in mind for the future.

Good luck.

23. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Take that bong away from your mouth and go to rehab.... ;)

Sorry for your lost op...

24. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

25. isaki87 macrumors regular

This is really unfortunate, and sad. I hope the best happens and you find the person who stole your laptop.

I would search the local craigslist ads, any classifieds in your area, and on ebay to see if someone is selling your laptop.... This is what my brother did when two of his Specialized road bikes were stolen on campus at UCI and he found the guy in the Orange County area on craigslist for one bike, and the same individual selling the other bike on ebay.

Good luck with the search.