Just need to say it: Chinese input in 2.0 is AMAZING

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PDE, Jul 23, 2008.

1. PDE macrumors 68020

I just upgraded my old iphone to 2.0 and have been playing around with the new Chinese input methods. The handwriting method is amazingly accurate, even with semi-cursive writing - I've been using pinyin/phonetic input up until now, but it's fantastic to be able to write the character on the screen directly. Really cool!

2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Is this an App or part of the phone, either way how do I get to try this and do it?

3. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

It's under Settings -> General -> Keyboard.

People should really explore their iPhone...

4. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I have been exploring it, and then some, just never really dove to deep into typing settings. Obviously I have no need since I don't speak or write multiple languages. Only 6 to be exact...

5. bjobes macrumors regular

Has anyone tried Japanese input yet (besides just banging the screen)

6. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Is it fast?

7. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Pretty fast, but may be hindered by firmware 2.0 issues.

8. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

It's pretty fast, but there is very very slight lag behind my finger when I write charactera. I'd prefer if there were no lag at all, but it works well, the lag is really only very slight, and character recognition is outstanding.

9. Sphere777 macrumors newbie

Yeah it works great. I use the qwerty one.

10. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I actually find it horrendously inaccurate.

I also can not write in Chinese.

11. Sphere777 macrumors newbie

To be honest, I picked my phone up this morning so I haven't really had time to play with it extensively. Worked fine for the simple text that I sent earlier though.

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I've been trying to see how it bases the characters it suggests. First of all I tried to copy a few characters I've seen on some stores around here and it worked fine.

Then I decided to be a smartarse and drew a C&B and not being able to read Chinese I have no idea what it was suggesting.

13. wako macrumors 65816

my only complaint of the input is that it doesnt learn. on the computer it is able to learn quickly of the words I use, however it doesnt do the same on the iphone which was a bummer for me.

I havent really toyed with the handwriting one because i find it too slow. It is nice to change to it when Im trying to type a character I cant figure out what the pinyin is though :)

14. Cruzer442 macrumors member

That fantastic. I'm always typing partially in spanish and the damn thing always tries to correct my spelling to english. I had looked for the spanish in the 1X firmware. I didn't know they added it. in 2.0