Just opened my ipad and iit's not working? Hubby's worked right out of box.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by connfamily, Dec 24, 2011.

1. connfamily, Dec 24, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011

connfamily macrumors member

Hubby and me both got ipads. His is working right out of the box. Mine showed a screen showing the plug and itunes. I tried to plug it into my computer and opened itunes, but it does nothing. Hubby already has stuff working including icloud because one of his programs just downloaded on my intunes.

Any ideas?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Reboot the computer, try launching iTunes first, then connecting the iPad.

3. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Your ipad is not on iOS 5, like your husbands is. You'll need to hook into a computer with itunes that is not already designated for someone else's account.

4. connfamily thread starter macrumors member

I'm beyond annoyed. It's still not working correctly and neither is my iphone that I just had upgraded to IOS5. It won't sync properly, I keep getting errors. None of my music or video's will play.

5. connfamily thread starter macrumors member

It won't charge when I put it on the computer either. Not sure why.

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

I suggest calling Apple. I bet that it is not a problem with the iPad or iPhone. Sometimes it can be confusing getting things started, because there are lots of variables involved (operating system, itunes version, etc.). You have free Applecare, so there is no charge.

7. connfamily, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2011

connfamily thread starter macrumors member

I think it's working now. I've spent so much time last night and today trying to get this working, which stinks because I wanted to get it going before we left for my mother in law's house so I can use it in the car.

Thanks to everyone who helped me. I think some of the problems may have happened when I tried to upgrade my iphone yesterday. I still have to get that working as it completely took off all music and movies. I'm ok with that.

Now I just need to figure out how to get my daughter's shared library to save to my computer. She is home for Christmas from college and I can sometimes see her library on my computer and I want it on my computer without having to save it to an external hardrive and then have to transfer.

Thanks everyone, and I promise I'm not a troll :)

8. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Ummm, if its your daughters shared library, you can only stream music from her library when she's around. If you just copy her library over to your PC, but you aren't using her Apple ID, iTunes won't let you listen to her DRM stuff as that would be considered piracy/copyright theft. Yes, I realize its your daughter but our wonderful legal system doesn't seem to embrace such concepts as sharing of music within a family home.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Charge the iPad using the supplied charger till its @100% then do a dfu restore. You'll find it'll work as expected after.

10. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

She never said it was iTunes purchased.

11. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

It's not charging through your computer because it does not supply enough voltage to the iPad. You have to plug it in to the AC adapter it came with in order to charge it.

Your husband's is working out of the box because the operating system on it is more recent. You have to plug yours in to register it.