Just order from Apple online & wait a few weeks, or keep trying to find in store?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wineandcarbs, Apr 7, 2011.

1. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

I'm in Toronto and the 32GB black 3G iPad is of course sold out everywhere. At this point, would it be quicker to just order online and wait the 2 - 3 weeks for it to ship or to keep trying to reserve one after 9pm each night? (For the Toronto stores we're to go to the Apple website at/after 9pm and try to reserve one for next day pick-up, but this model is always unavailable).

2. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Order online and cancel if you find one in a store.

BTW, I found a few at targets around me - they seem to be selling slowly there.

I also ordered another ipad from avalive.com a few days ago and it's already being shipped, in other words, I think the 2-3 weeks is an overstatement. Another note about order through other retailers online: No one has them in stock, you're subjected to the same shipping times as you are through apple.com, so don't cancel your order and place it somewhere else, you'll just put yourself at the end of the virtual line again.

3. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tip! I'm in Toronto so alas no Target here :( And thanksfor the heads up about online retailers. Good to know!

4. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Apple Store reservation system for Eaton Centre had 32GB Black a few nights ago, but only right at 9pm, they (it?) were literally gone by 9:01.

Also try Sherway, Yorkdale and Fairview?!

5. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've been trying all of them, also Square One. :( I will try again at 9pm. LOL I have to set an alarm for this. :p

6. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

I set an alarm, that's how I got my two!

7. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Unless you are a scalper, at this stage the "having one first" new car smell is already kinda old. So why not just order it from Apple and it will be here before you know it? I ordered mine on launch day and it took the usual 2-3 weeks to get to me and really wasn't that big of a deal to wait.

8. mtx macrumors newbie

Have you try FS or BB? If I was you, I will still order it online and just pop in an apple store, BB or FS once and a while to see if they have any available. If you get lucky, just cancel your online order.

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Just order online and wait for it. Use your free time for other things.

10. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys :) Definitely not a scalper, just impatient :p Alright, I'll order from Apple and if I find one earlier just cancel. I could probably use a lesson in patience anyway. It's not like I need it immediately. Hell, I was just asking on here yesterday if I could justify it. LOL.

11. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

it will come faster than you think...i thought three weeks was forever and it eventually came.

don't waste your time going to the stores around you. i mean, maybe you hit them as you are out and about but not special trips...

12. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for helping me put things in perspective :) Ordering online soon.

13. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Within one week of deciding I wanted the iPad2, I have purchased two. White 32GB WiFi, and a black 64GB WiFi. Both from Target. It wasn't all that difficult, and yes, I made special trips to the store for them. I am happy I did not have to wait 4 or 5 weeks to get them. I think you'll get it faster watching the stores. But not if you think you can stroll in and see a pile of them. So if you don't want to watch the tracker, and jump in the car and go, I'd advise an on line purchase.

14. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Fwiw I ordered a 64GB black ATT from MacConnection yesterday and it shipped today (!)

Looks like supply and demand continue to draw closer together.

15. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I say order and keep looking. With the 2-3 week wait, I think people have a few days before it starts processing and you can't cancel

Many stores have more and more stock everyday so give them a try WHILE ordering online

16. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

I ordered online with Apple.. Since they don't charge you UNTIL it ships, I still had the $ at my disposal. I found the same one at a BB and drove to pick it up.. Then canceled with Apple.

You can cancel until it ships.. So order.. But look locally, if you find one b4 it ships, cancel.. If not.. Well you have it on it's way :)