Just ordered a 13" for my soon to be college freshman

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gwerhart0800, Jul 3, 2009.

1. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I tried to leave the decision up to him. We went to BB so that he could get a "feel" for the various options. He "played" with the Dell Studio 15's they had on display and with the 13" MBP. In the end, he chose the MBP because:

1. Way smaller/lighter. He will be lugging this laptop around for the next 4 years.
    2. Way longer battery life without some ugly 9 cell battery sticking out the back.

The university provides on-site support for Apple and Dell systems, so those were the only considered. I spent lots of time on the Dell web site configuring various versions of 13" through 15" laptops. In the end, to trick out a Dell 13" laptop with equivalent features that is around the same weight (4.5lb), the price ended up being about the same. The biggest differences were, the Dell M1330 series does not have the same NVidia GPU although the 8400M GS and 9400M seem fairly close and that Dell support offers accidental damage coverage and Apple does not.

I have about a month and a half to get him up to speed on the Mac OS and such, but I am not anticipating any problems.

2. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

3. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Hope you got the higher education discount/BTS rebate!

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Make sure to get your free iPod and printer. Your son will appreciate both in Uni! :)

6. jwxie macrumors newbie

They should have done that at the purchase (both online and store will do)

I hope they did.

7. gwerhart0800 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, we ordered via the BTS plan, but skipped the printer ... I have a stock pile of printers!!! The iPod is an extra ... probably get gifted to someone at xmas time.

8. Maxpilot macrumors member

Good choice. My daughter will be a junior in graphic design and has a late 08 Macbook Pro. She says that in some of the class rooms, the 15" is a little too big to fit on the desk. My son will enter as a freshman and I got him the late 08 13" Macbook. He really likes it and says it will be the perfect form factor to lug around the campus.

As far as accidental damage goes... my son was sent a brochure on insurance for college students from NSSI that covers accidental damage. It varies on cost based on how much but we got $4000 in coverage for around $80 or $100 for the entire year. My son has a lot guitar equipment too so I hope I have enough coverage.

9. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

He better be ready to have the chicks all over him!