Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evev12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
So I just ordered the rMBP and have been happy with my order...until I thought about the possibility of have some first gen issues with it (immediate or down the line). My concern is that this is my primary and only computer at the moment. I cannot afford to be out of a computer for a week or 2 if any repairs are needed. It would severly strain me. I know it's a first gen and to my knowledge Apple has manufactured a couple parts themselves (though I may be wrong). They're also fairly new s nobody has had them for all too long. What do you think the chances are of part failure? And aside from cost...what do you think the turn around would be...would it be longer than normal being that tehy're more complex machines? Does anyone know if there's a way to get a loaner? Or am I just not making the best decision with the rMBP if this is my only machine.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
There's talk of them updating the rMBP silently to have better heat dissipation, but I don't know when you would have to order one to get one of those.

I wouldn't worry too much. Yes, it's a risk of you have to lose your machine, but it's probably worth it.

Do you live near an Apple store? I don't know how it works, but potentially you can just bring the machine there if it has a problem and they would just replace it on the spot.

Evev12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
I do actually live nearby (there's one a few blocks away) so that's no problem at all. But I've had a few repairs in the past that definitely were not "in-house" or even 1 day repairs and they were inconvenient at the least - I still think they should give loaners. I was just wondering if the way they built it may cause longer repair times. I think it's probably more worry/paranoia from the negative posts and it being a 1st gen. That's good to know though , thanks...I had no idea they were doing any sort or fixes....have there been significant heat issues? Everything I read seemed to imply they ran pretty cool with the exception of a few isolated issues.

Mac-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto, ON
I do actually live nearby (there's one a few blocks away) so that's no problem at all. But I've had a few repairs in the past that definitely were not "in-house" or even 1 day repairs and they were inconvenient at the least - I still think they should give loaners. I was just wondering if the way they built it may cause longer repair times. I think it's probably more worry/paranoia from the negative posts and it being a 1st gen. That's good to know though , thanks...I had no idea they were doing any sort or fixes....have there been significant heat issues? Everything I read seemed to imply they ran pretty cool with the exception of a few isolated issues.

The "silent tweak" was on the front page of this forum on the iMac section for updates...they said they will make fixes on the heat distribution on the 15' RMBP's they never said when but they won't let the public know..This was last week sometimes...so the tweak will get in place for maybe 2nd week of November..my guess...cheers

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
Buy it next year, dude. Apple pushes to hardware limitation. Think about GPU has to drive 400% more pixels. Intel 4000 HD is not ready for it. There are not so many retina applications. I want you to google the next gen intel processor 2013. Code name is Haswell. That is the one that is ready for retina MBP. It will launch first half next year. In the meantime, apple will fix every issue. Choosing a better display technology that will eliminate image retention issue, the heat problem. The 2nd gen is way to go. I just return mine today. 2.6/16/512 with Thunderbolt Display. In the meantime that I am waiting, I am getting MacBook Air 2012 13". Save my 3000+ for the next year.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Buy it next year, dude. Apple pushes to hardware limitation. Think about GPU has to drive 400% more pixels. Intel 4000 HD is not ready for it. There are not so many retina applications. I want you to google the next gen intel processor 2013. Code name is Haswell. That is the one that is ready for retina MBP. It will launch first half next year. In the meantime, apple will fix every issue. Choosing a better display technology that will eliminate image retention issue, the heat problem. The 2nd gen is way to go. I just return mine today. 2.6/16/512 with Thunderbolt Display. In the meantime that I am waiting, I am getting MacBook Air 2012 13". Save my 3000+ for the next year.

Do more reading. HD4000 is sufficient.

theineffablebob

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
I went into the Apple Store yesterday to get my retina Macbook Pro replaced for dead pixels. They told me that they currently had no rMBPs in stock and there were 15 in the back room being repaired.

Repair time they said was 1-3 days guaranteed.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Well.. I suppose..

So I just ordered the rMBP and have been happy with my order...until I thought about the possibility of have some first gen issues with it (immediate or down the line). My concern is that this is my primary and only computer at the moment. I cannot afford to be out of a computer for a week or 2 if any repairs are needed..

Well, I suppose with ANY 'cutting edge' new machines you ALWAYS run the risk of being a bit of a Guinea Pig if you are the 'must have shiny new thing' sort of Consumer.. That being said, APPLE is a pretty reputable (and HUGE) company whose best interest is to put out a GOOD Product.. Period.. :apple:

And since you say you cannot afford to be without it if Repairs are required, then I must assume that you are using it for Work and making money with it, so Renting a Replacement would be the most sensible thing.. I think.. Really.. :rolleyes:

I work in the Pro Audio Industry with some pretty 'cutting edge tools' and just like computers they are always evolving and getting better/worse depending upon who you speak to.. If we have a $100,000 mixing console go awry we are a long way away from another (1,000++ miles) so we have other 'less pleasant/expensive' Options, one of which may be Renting from another Supplier.. and the Manufacturer/ Local Rep's will certainly attempt to fix it as fast as possible, but we sure don't get any Loaner.. C'est la Vie!! :(

That being said, we are expected to have Good and Reasonably New Equipment in this Industry, and as such we try to get the best we can justify.. and as a Happy Apple User since 2006, I would buy a new rMBP if I disliked my 2011 MBP more than I do.. Period!! :apple:

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
So I just ordered the rMBP and have been happy with my order...until I thought about the possibility of have some first gen issues with it (immediate or down the line). My concern is that this is my primary and only computer at the moment.

Why worry? If it's defective, give it back and get another one - it's that easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.