Just out of curiosity, why did you guys choose imacs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by likemyorbs, Feb 4, 2009.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

from what i can see, it makes much more sense to get a macbook or macbook pro and hook it up to an external monitor of your choice. that way you get the best of both worlds, laptop portability, and desktop comfiness when you want it. again, not bashing anyone, just wondering why you chose the desktop.

2. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

At the time more power available on a bigger screen

I used a Blackbook for school with no power and needed a primary computer.

I knew i would be buying an Air for school so i knew i would have portability so just wanted power

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Hands down the best value. And I have an iBook G4 that still does its job as far as a portable is concerned to me.

4. andylo macrumors newbie

Buying a macbook and an external monitor is far more expensive than buying an iMac. By the way, most people aren't that rich in this world.

5. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

2.4GHZ MacBook - $1599
    24" External Display - $299 - $899

Total: From $1900 to $2500!

Price of an iMac: $1199.

Portability isn't worth over $700 for everyone.

6. Reventon macrumors 6502

While I don't have an iMac right now, I am seriously considering purchasing one in a few weeks after the new versions comes out. (First Mac after 16 years of PC ownership, so I'm looking forward to it). But, it's an interesting questions as a friend who's going to buy a Macbook around the same time as me (buying the iMac) asked me a similiar question.

Basically, like what Fonzjir said, it's down to more power and a bigger screen on the iMac. I'm planning to get either the 24" 750 GB or 1TB model to store all my files and stuff on. But the biggest reason, for me, is that I don't need the portability of a laptop right now, neither my job nor my lifestyle really justifies my buying one. A USB stick is really all I need as far as portability goes.

And yes, price also definately plays a big factor in choosing a desktop as well.

7. danny_w macrumors 601

I had a Macbook and 24" monitor at home, and a 24" iMac at work. At home I got tired of always having to open the MB to vent heat when running Handbrake or some such. Also it sometimes would not wake from sleep and I had to open the screen, hold the power button and wait for it to stop, turn it back on, wait for it to boot up, then shut the lid, wait for it to sleep, and wake it again with the kbd. I finally got tired of all this fussing with a laptop, got a netbook (cheap - $220) for the occasional time that I need portability, and ordered an iMac. I just sold the Macbook and display to pay for it. If you are going to use it as a laptop on a frequent basis I would say it is a good deal; otherwise get an iMac (or Mac Mini and display, or Mac Pro and display).

8. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Price of a 24 inch iMac: $1,799

you can get a 20 inch screen for about $150 these days. i guess im just more willing to sacrifice the power, my aluminum 2.0 macbook is powerful enough for me. so $1,250+$150= $1400, only $200 more than the base imac, but you get a laptop AND a desktop. seems worth it to me.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

20"≠24"

There is a BIG difference.

10. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

I choose an iMac because I got a deal on craigslist for a loaded aluminum 24" iMac for $900. :)

11. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

yeah i know, but im talking about the base imac. and if you get a macbook plus a 24 inch display for about $250-300, its a better value than the 24 inch imac, unless you REALLY need the power. but actually, my macbook can run loads of heavy apps simultaneously. i guess its a better value for me, but not for everyone.

12. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

now thats a hell of a deal.

13. wawanarchist macrumors regular

I chose the iMac because its a better value for me, I only use my laptop for websurfing and some writing... I think most people dont really go to coffee shops to cut some 1080p video... So I picked up a cheap pc laptop for $200 (amazing the deals you can get on craigslist) and the iMac has the power and class to do anything I want, and it looks great when showing clients photos, better in my opinion than a small laptop with a big screen attached, but thats just me

14. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

lol, thats pretty much what it is anyway :D

15. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

I love my MBP attached to my new 20" ACD. Its great to split work up on both screens.

If you need portability then this is the way to go. If not, then an iMac is the best choice. (power for the money)

16. SpamJunkie macrumors regular

iMac has :
    • twice as much L2 cache
    • a faster HD
    • a bigger HD
    • a faster video card
    • dedicated video memory
    • a lower cost

And that's the current generation of iMac. When they get refreshed (soon) the iMac will be even more performant for a way lower cost.

17. aki macrumors 6502a

1 video card
    2 price

IF laptop was same price as imac for same tech except weaker video card....i would think about it

18. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Bingo. An iMac is more than just a pretty screen.

19. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

iMac is still quite portable. More power for same money and this laptop is 98% of its time on the desk. If I need portability I use this.

20. AL2TEACH macrumors 6502

don't care to be eh connected that much so no need to really have a laptop. oh yeah, did I forget to mention, I'm a member of the working poor.

21. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

I got mine for the all-in-one design with minimal cables, minimal desk space, large screen, and more processing power available at the time. I do some large format printing on an Epson 7880 and wanted it to be connected and ready to print at all times. It would have been too much of a hassle to connect monitor and other cables all the time.

22. macmee Suspended

macmee

I never moved around, and wanted the bigger screen.

23. SpamJunkie macrumors regular

I expect my 24" will be far less portable than the old white 17"! heh

Then there are the people that buy the 17" macbook, hookup a keyboard and mouse they like and take the thing out fo the house once a year :p

24. synagence macrumors 6502a

Same for me ... i want the additional power that comes from the hardware and i love the design of iMac and want a larger display

25. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

This is the classic why buy a desktop over a laptop debate. For some power and price is more important. For others it's portability.
    For the power and graphics ability that I wanted from my computer, I would have had to buy a MBP + display, when portability is not that important to me. The iMac just made more sense.