Just paid off my AT&T Next and upgraded, but...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SAMCROforever, Sep 12, 2015.

1. SAMCROforever macrumors member

I just paid off my installment and opened a new installment (Next 24) for the 6S Plus, purchased from Apple and on my AT&T account it says:
    Service Commitment: 9/12/15 - 3/12/18

Anyone know why it's longer than 2 years?

2. MyCow macrumors member

MyCow

Next 24 is for 30 months but you can trade in the device after 24.

3. SAMCROforever thread starter macrumors member

ah, right! not sure why i didn't notice that on my last installment plan. thanks!

4. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

If you're just going to pay it off anyway, why not get the Next 12 plan and never have to make a big payment at the end?

5. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Because he wants to sell the phone as opposed to giving it back to ATT once it's time to upgrade.

6. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I guess if you get what you paid to AT&T back after selling it and at least break even that makes sense; I'd rather not hassle with selling the phone and stuff, but it's not a bad way to get an upgrade every year while making smaller payments throughout. In the end, though, I think it kind of all evens out so it's not worth it to me to do it that way.

7. SAMCROforever thread starter macrumors member

i always sell my phones, swappa is great, will never deal with ebay with selling phones

8. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Yeah sometimes it's a pain, especially dealing with eBay or flakey people on Craigslist. But it is a little bit more cost effective if you're willing to deal with it.

What could have been an even better deal for people wanting to avoid the hassle of selling is Apples Upgrade plan. Brand new unlocked iphone every year plus AppleCare for not much more than the carrier installment plans. The only downside with Apple's plan was that you couldn't pre-order (or I completely overlooked how to do it).

9. riviera74 macrumors member

I have always sold my phones through eBay (mostly out of habit). How is swappa better?

10. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Oh trust me, I used to do the same thing. I agree; Swappa is a lot better/easier than eBay, except that the people there tend to be more oriented towards Android phones, or at leas they used to be. I used to sell for more on eBay, but with ebay's fees it would generally even out. However, the team at Swappa can't be beat; I sold a rooted/bootloader unlocked S4 there and the dude who I sold it to said it was fine when he got it. Then he screwed it up and wanted me to fix it and/or take it back, and the Swappa team backed me up 100% and basically told the buyer after we tried to find an amicable solution to go pound sand. They will forever have my loyalty for that alone.

11. riviera74 macrumors member

Sounds interesting. I do have an LG G3 and a 7" G Pad (both on AT&T) that will be sold once I replace them with the newest iPhone, most likely in October. Neither are rooted. Any particular advice for swappa in particular I need to know?

12. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Nope, it's very straightforward; in fact it's easier to sell on there than eBay because it's designed specifically for selling phones/tablets. Just pay attention to how much your devices are going for on the site and stay in-line with those. Also, of course, be brutally honest (with yourself mostly) about the state of your devices and price them correctly if you want them to sell quickly. Don't try to get one over on any of the buyers there; they tend to be more savvy than eBay buyers. Otherwise, it's a flat $10 fee and you're good to go.