Just picked up a used PB 12" G4 1.5Ghz...Nice!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by catdog02481, Jan 22, 2009.

1. catdog02481 macrumors regular

catdog02481

Hi y'all
    I am a big mac junkie; currently have a 13.3 unibody MB (2.4) and 15" MBP (2.8/SSD) and 17" MBP (2.4) and a pair of 15" modded to wuxga and previously had a first gen MBA. But i always missed an early PB 12" G4 i had that died from a burnt out dc power board.
    Anyhow, saw this great late 1.5Ghz PB G4 12"/superdrive and i pounced on it for $475 (i know a little pricey for these days) but what a beautiful machine that is nicely put together and so compact... The screen is sharp and though it's my slowest machine, it just has a certain je ne sais quoi... I am very happy.
    Just wondering if it's worth putting 10.5 or leaving 10.4.11, it only has 1.25GB of ram.
    Thoughts?

Oh, it does have the two-finger scroll feature but the touchpad is tiny compared to current-gen mb/mbp also the keyboard feels very nice though it's not lit..

2. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

jeeze, i think you should just use one or two of those computers and sell the rest. You kinda sound like a collector. Now you need to get a tibook and some older stuff lol. But i dont think youd benefit much from leopard, i mean go for it if your bored. Sounds like it would be a good carry everywhere computer, and not worry about dropping or killing it since u have so many others.

3. catdog02481 thread starter macrumors regular

catdog02481

Yes, you have correctly diagnosed that i have a problem...just don't know if it's cheaper to go on like this or spend the money on therapy instead?

It appears i am not alone with this affliction...anyone with insight into this?

Until then, i just always loved the pb 12" but did not want to spend the money on the last rev when it got 2-finger scroll..

4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I'm with you. Just bought two, one for just because and one for daughters birthday gift. She was looking at a netbook and for the price and features, the 12" PB won hands down. Loaded Leopard and it works fine for everything she needs it for, and more.

My favorite Apple - ever.:D

5. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

i mean, id like to have a macpro and and imac but not a bunch of laptops. Id keep the PB for someone whos not gonna take care of a new mac as well, or that doesnt need the power of a new one. Some people would get their idle computers and dedicate them to torrents all day....but us mac rumor people wouldnt do that:rolleyes:

6. catdog02481 thread starter macrumors regular

catdog02481

I don't know what it is, maybe the tactile feedback or what, but it is just very cute and begs to be typed on. It's a nice little package....Apple should look into this format again. Too bad it's no available with an intel then it would be cute, and fast. But so far, no major problems and i lucked out this battery has 25 cycles on it and is lasting close to 4 hours (browsing and such...), kind of a little more than my brand new MB 2.4 unibody :eek:

7. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I know how you feel about your 12" PB. I just gave mine to my 22 yr old son, just this past sunday. It is a last revision, still under warranty till august. I left Tiger on it; 1. It ran perfect except video in itunes was a little choppy (same video is fine in just quicktime). 2. I have Leopard on my Macbook and on my mini.

8. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654