Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Ive been reading all the horror stories about the 15" screen. What should I look for? So far it looks fine. It might be slightly more yellow on the right side then left but no where near the issues the iPad air has. there is no screen retention etc.

Thanks

niblet

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2013
Yeah, I was concerned about the image retention, and was about to do the IR test, but then I realized that if it would not affect me, there was no point in finding out i had IR issues and returning a perfectly good Mac.

corpexec

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
Make a simple html file with body background-color: Grey
or go to http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_color_tryit.asp?color=Grey and zoom in on grey part until whole screen is only grey.

Fullscreen the browser window, max the brightness.

hold up comp close to your eye and move around .. Now you can easily see uniformity issues.

Edges will always have bleed, this is normal. A good screen would have no bleeds in the middle at least.

kawalerzysta

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
If it looks good for you, leave it as is. If you start checking you might be deemed to find soething wrong. Less stress. Just enjoy the machine.

Domdog31

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
If it looks good for you, leave it as is. If you start checking you might be deemed to find soething wrong. Less stress. Just enjoy the machine.

agreed. mine is an LG and is awesome....about 5 years ago I bought a 52" vizio it has exceed all my expectations. A few months ago a friend of mine who is a big AV guy came over and asked "DAMN dude don't you see the bleeding?"

It took him 5 min to show me something I never noticed and he had to basically struggle to get me to see it. If you want to find a problem you will, that goes with ANYTHING (people as well as products lol)

Shmanky

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Toronto
Ive been reading all the horror stories about the 15" screen. What should I look for? So far it looks fine. It might be slightly more yellow on the right side then left but no where near the issues the iPad air has. there is no screen retention etc.

Compare it to the other displays you own on iPhones, iPads, other Macs, and other PCs. It should be immediately obvious if it's yellow. Other problems can develop later like image retention or muras (white spots). The best test would be to bring it in to an Apple store and compare it with other units in the store because it should be the same display.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.