Just played with the Xoom today (yes, yet another of those)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ravenvii, Apr 2, 2011.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'll cut to the chase - yes, I played with a Xoom today, and it was fairly impressive for an Android device. Yes, I noticed that, even though it's much more responsive to my touch than my previous experiences with Android devices, it's still nowhere close to the responsiveness of my iPad.

But that's not the point of the thread. There are two things that I think Apple really should copy. The first is the scrolling background when you scroll through the home screen. That looks much better than I thought it would. It really gives the impression of movement and gives you a visual hint of where you are in the whole scheme of things (much better than squinting at the tiny dots on the bottom of the screen). Perfect for iOS.

The second is a snorefest because it has been discussed ad nausea, but I'll mention it anyway: widgets.

That's all, folks. Or I'll do what seems to be hip among the trolls and close the post with:

Discuss.

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

3. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

something I also noticed, no beats Apple when it comes to touch screen quality/responsiveness.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I'm sure that one of the many Apple employees that browse this forum will take down these notes and tell Steve that this is what we all (some) want.

5. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I'm anxiously waiting for the day when people try out the Playbook or the HP WebOS tablet and write "WOW BEST MULTITASKING EVA!!" here. (Really WebOS multitaking system is really nice though)

I personally don't care for either the background image nor the widget as I find them pretty useless personally on my Android and Symbian phones but that's just a personal opinion: maybe many are really waiting for widgets.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Glad you enjoyed it ... Xoom on

7. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

When do you ever post useful information? Just browsing your recent posts and you sound like a lonely ignorant person. I'm sorry.

Anyways OP, I agree with you 100%. My sister has the Xoom and I love the widgets a lot. But I could never give it up for the iPad.

8. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Part of it is also the smooth of the animation/graphic engine. One OS does come close and...it's Windows Phone 7, really ;)

9. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

and yet, you're following me :rolleyes:

10. Cheetablaze macrumors member

I played with the xoom as well... I emailed motorola and demanded 10 minutes of my life that I wasted on it. Moto won't survive in the tablet game due to inflated prices... Samsung won't make it because they hardly update the **** they have out right now. I have had to use xda for the past 3 years to get updates on my phones. I am sticking with IPad mainly because they keep rolling out with updates.

11. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I lol'd. That has value.

12. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Lol, I'm not saying you are evil, just a lot of the stuff you post is rude. But I laugh at some :D

13. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Lonely, ignorance is bliss.

14. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

After many, many nightmares with multiple variations of windows,me, 2000,XP,Vista,7,etc as long as I can help it, I won't touch windows or PCs with a ten-foot pole....... Whether it's a phone, tablet or otherwise.....

15. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Yeah I was surprised too but Windows Phone 7 really does have an excellent touch response. It's better than anything non-iOS and definitely far smoother than all the Androids I've tried and owned.

Wait, Dreamcast was Windows CE based and it rocked!! Oh I want to cry now...

16. lionqueen macrumors 6502

This is an apple forum. Its quite normal for folks to post about things they think apple should put on their devices in the future. You do get that, right?

17. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

That goes without saying, my mom has been through 2 android mytouch tmobile phones, and the touch responsiveness and touch delay is ridiculous, without swype, typing is a nightmare, and even with it, it's not much better.

18. ani23 macrumors 6502

I have wanted to be able to focus on a couple of different apps at a time. Streaming movie + browse Facebook etc. Maybe split screen or something. Am sure apple knows a tablet needs this and will figure out a way.

The good thing is competition keeps everyone on their toes so more power to the xoom.

19. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

I had two Android phones and you know what I realized? I never use widgets. They seemed great, but all they really do is kill battery life. Widgets are for desktops that are plugged into a wall outlet. As far as I'm concerned, anything running on a battery needs to have stationary icons and launchable programs. NOTHING is more important than battery life when it comes to mobility, and widgets kill that, at least they did on my Android phones. Give me a responsive screen, tons of apps, and awesome battery life and I'm happy...with my iPad 2.:D

20. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I get that, but people requesting features of an Apple product on an unofficial web forum is like yelling out into the open wile on a deserted island, no one can hear you.

If you ever want to get heard, Apple has set up a webpage for this specific reason at www.apple.com/feedback (just pick your product and give your feedback). This is the best way to let Apple know directly how you would like to see their product evolved.

21. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Honeycomb is more responsive than previous android things, but it pales in comparison to iOS. It's one of the main reasons why I would never own an android device. It gets too annoying and laggy.

22. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Like Multitouch pinch-zoom, iOS has had that nailed since 2007. It's one of the primary components in preserving the 'magic'.