Just Purchased 40 iPod Touches... and they don't have 3.0!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 2A Batterie, Jun 19, 2009.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

My company just purchased 40 iPod touches yesterday for a campaign we are working on. I'm the lucky one who gets to set them up. I'm currently opening them up and setting them up on iTunes and they don't have 3.0! Do I really have to pay $10 to update each one?

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Might want to ask an Apple rep to see if you could get a discount on that - or check with some customer service - a bit harsh that they don't have 3.0 on if you bought them yesterday

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

As far as I know you can install the firmware on as many devices as you own. This is how it worked with 2.0 and I don't see why it would be any different now. So you should only have to pay once.

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

We'll 3.0 has only been released for 2 days and it's not like the store that the OP got them from got fresh iPods from Apple that we're released on June 17.

It will take Apple some time to put out iPod touches with 3.0 on them. I'm guessing Mid-late July/August they will have 3.0 at time of purchase.

5. ghettochris macrumors 6502a

i think second generation touches will have 2.0 on them forever, you want 3.0 free, you have to wait until the 3rd generation comes out.

pretty sure it was like this for the last upgrade. If you bought a first generation ipod after 2.0 was released you still had to pay for 2.0 software if you wanted it, but all second generation touches ship with 2.0 on them.

6. adbe macrumors 6502a

It wasn't like that for 1.1. Stores were doing $10 discounts on 1.0 Touches, until stock was cleared. For 2.0 though I'm pretty sure you're correct.

7. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

While there are ways of obtaining 3.0 without the 10 dollar fee by less than legal methods that i am not going to discuss here, i believe u will only need to pay for 3.0 once. after that, u can load 3.0 onto as many 2nd gen touchs as u want.

8. Yonz macrumors newbie

So if I buy one upgrade, how do I sync it with my other 2 iPod Touches (both Kids have their own iTunes account, on their own iMacs) so how to I got their iPods to sync with my copy of the OS 3.0 Upgrade???

any idea?

Yonz
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    A totally "Macified" home: 4 iMac, ATV, 3 iPOD Touch

9. MD5Hash macrumors member

MD5Hash

I confirm the original poster's question. I have a 1G ipod touch, purchased in August 2008 after 2.0 had already came out. I had hoped it would have 2.0 on it when I opened the box, but I got the nasty shock of the opposite when I connected it to iTunes for the first time.

*shrugs* so I downloaded the .ipsw files separately and loaded them on through the special "restore iPod" undocumented function. Figured I deserved it, since 2.0 had been released when I purchased my device.

However, I properly paid the $10 for 3.0 and downloaded it through iTunes. Just haven't updated it yet thanks to all the horrible reviews of what it's done to people's iTouches.