Just Purchased a New Macbook Pro, what do I need to look at for when I receive it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DomLando, Jun 27, 2010.

1. DomLando macrumors newbie

I just ordered my first Mac yesterday. I should be receiving it sometime this week. I ordered a 15" hi-res glossy macbook pro. My question is what should I be on the look at for defect wise? I heard some screens had a problem with a yellow tint? Are there any other things I should be looking out for when I get my new Mac this week. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. celticpride678

3. gaselectric macrumors newbie

1. Run a dead pixel test
    2. Examine for any physical damage (there will be some flaws but look for dents and deep scratches)
    3. Install a few programs before you migrate your files
    4. Enjoy your macbook pro!

4. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

There's software for a dead pixel test? Or do you just look at the screen very carefully for something?

5. Sequin macrumors regular

I was wondering this as well so I looked it up. Apparently you can tell just by looking at the screen (especially if you have it all at one color) and notice areas that are sort of.. not right. This page is extra helfpul though: http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/DeadPixels.html Just load one of their test pages and you can see if you have any.

I had no idea, but it turns out my computer has some. Now that I've noticed it I can't unsee it. Arghh. I was happier not knowing D:

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I hate when that happens lol. Good thing I haven't noticed anything wrong with my new MBP screen, even after some looking. A relief in my book :D

7. DomLando thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean by there will be some physical damage flaws?

8. hipvamore macrumors regular

dude if nothing seems wrong with it when you receive just ride it out and enjoy. idk why the worry about defects when their the best computers out there and you havent even received it yet..

9. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Just use your new Mac and enjoy it, lifes too short to fret about possible issues. As sequin said, he didn't even know he had an issue till he looked for one, an now it's doing his head in. If it all seems fine when you get it, then don't worry.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The OP does not need a thread on defects to look out for. If you can't see any flaws for yourself then it's not defective. A better thread for your first Mac would be more like what types of good Mac software is recommended based on the OP's uses. Looking for negative things just ruins the experience and turns you into an OCD person.

11. Dooger macrumors 6502

Wise words dude. I nearly ran that dead pixel test then realised I'd rather live in ignorance, if there's a bad defect it'll be pretty obvious straight away. One thing though, check the keys are properly set in the keyboard. I've heard some - admittedly anecdotal - things about this being a problem on some machines (both about the letter H).

12. section31 macrumors member

I'd read this thread and make sure you don't experience the same issues. It doesn't appear to be an isolated issue unfortunately.

I'm not incredibly picky to the point of using a magnifying glass to inspect my hardware or checking for dead pixels but I do expect excellent build quality and reliability (both inside and out) when I buy an Apple product.

Getting random unexplained freezes is something I'd expect from other manufacturers but not Apple.