Just purchased a new MBP and a separate Samsung 1TB HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maw4bc, Feb 28, 2011.

1. maw4bc macrumors regular

What is the best process for transferring my data from my old MB to the new HDD? My initial thought process was this:

1. Back up old MB with time machine.
    2. Boot up new MBP and use the time machine to transfer.
    3. Use SuperDuper! to clone new MBP HDD to new 1TB Samsung HDD.
    4. Replace MBP HDD with 1TB Samsung HDD.

Thoughts? Is there an easier process? Thanks for the help.

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Can't you just replace the MBP HDD with the 1TB HDD as soon as you get your new MBP and restore with your Time Machine back-up from the MB? It feels like you are wasting time by restoring on the MBP HDD when in fact you want it replaced with the 1TB drive.

1. Install 1TB HDD
    2. Use Boot Discs and install OS X (Hold C or Option to boot from disc)
    3. When OS X is installed, tell it to recover data from Time Machine back-up
    4. Enjoy the new MBP with tons of storage!

3. maw4bc thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that seems like a better process. Do I need to boot the MBP before I replace the HDD? Just curious cause I will want to use the old HDD as an external storage device, does it need to be booted first?

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

No, it doesn't need to be booted first ... but I would boot it up to make sure everything is working on the MBP. After making sure everything is working, then I would replace the drive.

When you install the MBP HDD in the enclosure, you'll have to reformat it anyway. So it really doesn't matter if it was booted or not. Everything will get erased before you use it as an external drive.

Hope this helps!

5. maw4bc thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help! I'll go with your suggestions.

6. opera57 macrumors 6502

Install the new drive, install OSX with the discs provided in the box, then restore files from your time machine backup! Easily done! [​IMG]

7. namethisfile, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

+1 on booting up new mbp first to make sure.

but, i think the OP wants to switch 1TB HDD into the new MBP and put the stock drive into an enclosure.

i have never done this myself. but i can think of 2 options.

1) attach the 1TB HDD as an external and go into Disk Utility by inserting the OS Install Disc supplied and then restart the computer and then press and hold the "C" key at the startup chime. This will take you to a window where you have the option to go into Disk Utility mode. You should see your main HDD as well as the DVD and also your external 1TB Drive. Perhaps, there is a way to format the drive and then install OS X into the external 1TB HDD. Not sure, though.

Or.

2) After booting up the new MBP to see if all work as it should--turn off the MBP and then do the HDD switch as instructed by iFixit or Apple. The 1TB drive should be formatted for OS X (HSF+ or something like that) if you went through option 1 so the MBP should be able to read it when you turn the MBP with the new 1TB HDD. And then, hopefully, the MBP will prompt you to insert the OS Install Disc.*

Hope this helps.

*Or, the MBP might prompt you regardless of whether or not the drive is formatted for OS X to insert the Install Disc and do the whole process.

8. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

I think you sum up my option 2 for him.

9. maw4bc thread starter macrumors regular

Alright so I ended up booting up the MBP and everything was working fine so I shut it back down and switched out the hard drives. Rebooted and used Time Machine to bring everything over from my old MB. I guess in the long run the thunderbolt is going to make this process much quicker as it took about 1.5 hours to transfer all my data from my old MB (about 150 gb). Now I have a question though.

I bought a SATA enclosure for the HDD I removed from the MBP. Do I just plug this in to use it as an external HDD or do I need to something else?

10. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

plug it into the enclosure and then connect it via usb or firewire800 to the mbp.

11. urkel macrumors 68030

When did they start making 9.5mm 1TB? I thought they only got it to 12.5mm which is too thick for the Macbook.

12. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Grab an external SATA enclosure and use Carbon Copy Cloner. One copy and you're done with a new drive ready to boot from.

13. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Not the new ones.

14. maw4bc thread starter macrumors regular

The 1TB HDD I bought was a tad bit taller than the old one but didn't make a difference in the bay that I put it in. Maybe it was my lack of knowledge in the area, but when I was swapping it it did not seem to be too big for the bay at all. Everything is working just fine on the MBP with the 1TB HDD.

15. urkel macrumors 68030

You sure about that? I've searched around and couldnt find any 9.5mm 1tb drives reported either bare or in enclosures. And the OP says the drive was a little bigger so it sounds like a 12.5mm (and if so, the OP has to make sure there's no contact between the drive and the Macbook bottom).

16. maw4bc thread starter macrumors regular

Are there potential problems if it is touching the bottom? is there something I could put between the two, say a small slice that packaging stuff that comes with the computer? As I stated previously I have never replaced a HDD and when I was at Microcenter they guy told me that the one he gave me would work. Also, not sure if the new HDD bay in the 2011 MBP are deeper?

17. MarkMS, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

MarkMS macrumors 6502a

If it was able to fit in there and the bottom MBP casing was screwed back in like before, then you should be fine. No real potential problems should arise as long as the circuits aren't touching the MBP. If the HDD outer case is touching the MBP then that's should be okay. The Unibody case of the MBP acts as a big heat sink, so in theory the HDD case touching the MBP case should have its heat dissipated throughout the MBP and thus make it run cooler. Not really a 100% sure about that yet, but it's what I've read on numerous sites.

And please, DON'T stick a piece of packaging in between. The HDD will get hot and it may melt the material. Just make sure to keep regular back ups.

18. maw4bc thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the answer. And after I think about it and how hot these things get it definitely seems like a dumb thing to do (putting something between the two).

Is there a way to reformat the drive I took out of the MBP? It is basically just another "Macintosh HD". I was hoping to wipe everything off there and just have it be a basic external drive. There is 16GB's of crap on there just from when you boot up the MBP.

19. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Yeah. Search for Disk Utility in Spotlight or navigate to Applications>Utilities folder>Disk Utility. Click on the drive you want to erase, Double check this is the right drive again and then click on the Erase tab on top. Set the format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and rename it whatever you want.

Hope this helps.

20. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Do this. EZ. Any troubles? Then you'll have the original stock HDD to put back in and boot into.