Just purchased an Airport Extreme and want to know whats going to go wrong

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ert3, Apr 21, 2010.

1. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I had an old Lynksis router for G based wireless that i was finally tired of having die every time i was in a wow raid.

So today i took out some cash and purchased my apple airport extreme base station so that I can put network diagnostic hell at the home behind me for a while.

I have already setup the 3 main computers on the network which seem to be moving faster on the web (old router was really on its last legs) and setup bonjour so now the printer is everyone's printer and we no longer have to deal with email file transfer hell (why not just share files between the windows and macs on my network you ask, because its a headache just to get two windows computers to share files and doing the same cross platform is a hell I have experienced before and regedit can go straight to detriot).

All seems well now 30 mins after getting home but i figure problems will come and i might as well ask what is going to smack me in the face.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I think it's better to wait until you actually have a problem to ask how to fix it.

3. ert3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ert3

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 8gb: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I'm just wondering about any famous faults that I should Be prepairing for or prevent

4. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

User Error is number 1

5. ert3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ert3

Actually i already found one flaw, you have to use alt to get to wep transitional security which I had to use because my roomates windows vista laptop does not actually support WPA even though the OS assumed it did.

6. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

They make it difficult to use WEP because it is so easily hackable.

7. ert3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ert3

understandable but where I live hackers are guys who install linux and connect to their neighbors wifi-network because the password was "internet."

I just dont want to give them a free connection to limewire, though i might just take the mac adress method if thats safer. but for now I think wep will work well enough

8. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

Well then you already lost hackers can be anybody, your mom, a doctor, your friendly neighbor next door. also you can easily change MAC Address, just sayin'

Those who can install linux are the same installing backtrack and crackin' wep in 10 minutes to sniff out your passwords.

Like I said before User Error Number 1, just tryin' to cut corners hm?

Why not just get a cheap usb wireless network adapter that supports wpa2?

Is 23 dollars really that much to sacrafice your security? http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DWA-12...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271957065&sr=8-3

9. Mister9 macrumors regular

I'm having a hell of a time with an airport extreme base station and Windows 7 on a dell studio 1555. I thought after I upgraded the printer it might go away... but nope. Either it just won't print and then when I print something on my MBP (which works fine) the stuff that we gave up ever printing starts to print or it will print with weird alignment and keep printing in an infinite loop. Very frustrating.