Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnathan92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Hi guys,

I have purchased apple care for my iphone from ebay yesterday, I received the registration number via email so I dont have the box with the serial number of proof of purchase, anyway I successfully activated my new apple care plan for my iphone, shortly after i received my certificate via email from apple confirming this.

The problem I have is people are reporting on the internet about getting there plans cancelled months down the line due to people either stealing or buying the apple care plans with credit cards not paying then selling them on? Since I don't have proof of purchase of the serial number I am fearing this might happen to me.

Has anyone heard of this, is there anything I can do to protect myself against this?

Many thanks!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
As long as you purchased from a reputable ebay seller with many prior Applecare sales you should be good.
His rep should give you an idea if people got scammed or not. If something happens you can always reverse the charges thru paypal.

johnathan92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
The guy has done over 1000 deals for apple care and not had a single bad feedback, but I have heard of stories such as people getting emails from apple saying the apple care is void after they have received their certificates, is this true?

If my iphone broke what would I need to take to apple with me to get it repaired under the applecare warranty?

I have now received my code and got my apple care protection plan certificate from apple, has everything gone ok? Can the certificate be revoked if the plan has been found stolen or something like this?

What would I need to take to a apple store if my iphone broke to get it fixed? Just my receipt for purchase of the iphone?

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
When you get your apple care make sure its valid as soon as you can with apple.That way you wont get stuck in the eventuality you have to take your phone for repair.

If it isn't get a refund immediately. I have heard alot of people buying legit ones so you should be ok if the seller has a good reputation.

johnathan92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
How do I check if its valid? Do I ring apple or is there a website I cen check on?

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
How do I check if its valid? Do I ring apple or is there a website I cen check on?

I've never owned it but i assume you will have some sort of customer id/code
that you can check with them to make sure its valid.

Maybe someone here can enlighten you more!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
What would I need to take to a apple store if my iphone broke to get it fixed? Just my receipt for purchase of the iphone?

The receipt ain't needed but it's recommended. Always bring as much proofs and other papers as possible. It's better to carry some extra than do another trip

johnathan92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
so basically I can walk into the apple store with my phone and charger and get it fixed/replaced under my applecare warranty now?

Do apple ever revoke the applecare plans once they have provided a certificate?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The guy has done over 1000 deals for apple care and not had a single bad feedback, but I have heard of stories such as people getting emails from apple saying the apple care is void after they have received their certificates, is this true?

If my iphone broke what would I need to take to apple with me to get it repaired under the applecare warranty?

I got a few applecare packages thru ebay also and never had a problem. You cant go wrong for the price. As long as the seller is good you shouldnt have any issues.
Once applecare is registered to your devices ID number you dont have to do anything. Just bring it to Apple and they can pull it up on their system.
You can verify it here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
what happens when you register device with applecare, and then later when you use the warranty they give you a new device. Is the new device covered under the original warranty? Or do you have to purchase a new warranty?

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
....Do apple ever revoke the applecare plans once they have provided a certificate?

According to a rather long thread on these forums, it does happen sometimes, but probably wont.

But seriously, for the kind of discount you get on these code-only ebay deals for a price that apple's authorized distribution chain can't match, what do you really think you're getting?? :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.