Just purchased Macbook last week, want to exchange and NOT have to pay restocking fee

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mitchellzwick, Oct 14, 2008.

1. mitchellzwick macrumors newbie

I got a Macbook ($1299 White) for my birthday last Wednesday (10-08-08) although Apple sent an email receipt to my e-mail, so it spoiled the surprise.

Today as we all know, Apple released the new Macbooks today, and I wanted to know if there was anyway to exchange it for the new ones, and NOT have to pay the $129 restocking fee, since after all they don't sell that notebook any longer.

Is this happening/happened to anyone else?

I've emailed Customer Support saying why should I have to, because of all the trouble I've had with them (e-mail).

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If the email doesn't work, give customer support (1-800-MY-APPLE) a call. Based on my experience, they shouldn't give you much trouble - your request is reasonable enough. ...Also remember to ask for return shipping. ;)

3. mitchellzwick thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah I've heard about Apple's Notorious Customer Service. I just really hope this all works out those things are FLIPPING GORGEOUS!!!

4. 2000ContourSVT macrumors member

Yeah the same thing happened to me last update (which wasn't that big of a deal). I wanted to get the new one because obviously I just bought something I expected it to be the latest thing. Well they wouldn't give me the new one without me having to pay the restocking fee so I said screw it, it isn't worth the 130 dollars. Your situation with a major update might be worth it though. It all depends on what you want. I highly doubt they will exchange it without paying a restocking fee but it doesn't hurt to try to take it to a local Apple store.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

"Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 14 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price. To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 calendar days of the price change."

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html#topic-16

...I'd contact them about the exchange.

6. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

I hope it works out for you and in fact it should !

I got a Macbook+iPod touch+printer on back to school promo about a month back. I have not opened any of those sealed packages since they are supposed to be gifts. I asked them (over Store Chat) if they can exchange the macbook for the new one. I also offered to pay the restocking fee but they said they can't.

7. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

1. Mail it to a friend or relative who lives in Hawaii and have them return it.

2. Fly to Hawaii yourself and return it.

8. mitchellzwick thread starter macrumors newbie

Are there any key phrases I should pull out of the bag?

eg - "Well, I guess I'll just have to go with another brand."

???

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

No, because you already bought it. However, if they really refuse to be reasonable, ask to speak to a manager.

As always, be polite. :)

And remember, at the very least they owe you a partial refund (for the price difference) which you could then use to cover the restocking fee.

10. foodle macrumors 6502

I did this with my Macbook a few generations ago. I'd bought it right before the C2D update. I went into the store intending just to eat the $130 restocking fee, but the manager just waived it without me asking.

11. mitchellzwick thread starter macrumors newbie

I WOULD LOVE if this happened to me (and if they threw in a something like an external hard drive for my hassle but I can only wish).

12. mitchellzwick thread starter macrumors newbie

13. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Just ask politely. If it is within the 14days they will most likely waive the restock fee.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Go to the store; ask to speak to the manager about doing a swap. Be courteous and he/she will waive the restocking fee. If you are rude, they can refuse you (and they will).

15. mitchellzwick thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there anyway to know for sure if I am going to get a the new notebook if I go to the store - like tomorrow if I go, will i get the notebook tomorrow? I live 40 miles away from my closest Apple Store.

16. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I suggest calling and asking if they have them in stock yet before you head over.

17. mitchellzwick thread starter macrumors newbie

Woah, i am like really out of that i didn't even think of that (sad I know). Does Apple hold items for pick up later in the day?

Everyone is saying to ask "politely". What questions/begging should I ask?

18. John585 macrumors member

Did I get ripped off?

I bought a low-end macbook last month and had it replaced on the 29th. My 14 day return ended on the 13. When I looked at my receipt it says under Individual Educator: $20.90 wasn't I suppose to get $100 off since I'm a student? I also got a free I ipod touch with it and got the $209 rebate.

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

Personally, I think you'd have a snowballs chance in hell for getting ANYTHING if you try to play the "you ruined my whole birthday surprise by sending me an email receipt before the notebook arrived" card.

Whoever ordered your birthday present and used your email address for the purchase created that hassle for you, not Apple.

If I were you, I'd sit tight until I heard back from the online store. IMO, managers in the retail stores are less likely to eat the cost of swapping you out when their store didn't earn your money for the initial purchase in the first place.

20. unwinded macrumors regular

Just say it is defective and make up some excuse. Then express how you want to exchange it for a new model. Don't worry about morals. Apple doesn't have any morals.

21. mitchellzwick thread starter macrumors newbie

But what does ask "politely" mean?

The notebook does have spaz attacks when i plug in headphones and statics when i do so.

22. mitchellzwick thread starter macrumors newbie

But the strange part is, is that the person that got me the present did not tell anyone ANY e-mail. Apple is doing a little investigation, and things they got the e-mail from when I bought my iPhone.

23. mitchellzwick thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE - Yesterday October 20, was the 14th day since purchase and the last day that I could return my computer, so I called Apple and they said that since my computer had dropped $50 in price to $1249, so the price difference would go toward the restocking fee making the restocking fee just $79.

So I went to the Apple Store satisfied to paying the $79, but when I got to the store they said that the person on the phone was wrong and that I still had to pay $129, because Apple no longer sold the item period.

When I asked why I would have to pay a restocking fee on an item they no longer sold, the manager, in short, said good point, I'll waive the fee.

I was overjoyed and I now have the computer! Its absolutely more beautiful in person, and the LED Screen is the brightest I have ever seen in a notebook, almost as bright as A Cinema Display.

I am extremely satisfied with Apple, their customer service was exemplary.