Just Received $80 Apple Gift Card Due To Slow iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thehook, Jul 24, 2010.

1. thehook macrumors newbie

As noted in previous threads my iPhone 3G had slowed to a sticky mess after upgrading to 4.0. I brought my phone to the Apple Store and they said it wasn't possible to restore my iPhone back to the older system software. My phone was rendered unusable to me because it took 4x as long to complete basic tasks due to the slowness of 4.0 running on it. I said to the store manager, "Other than sending me home with a useless phone, is there anything you can do? I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about this".

I received an Apple Gift card in the amount of $80.00 AND the option of a free replacement (previous system software) for my out of warranty iPhone 3G. I bought an iPhone 4 which I love. I used my giftcard. Apple made money and I went home warm and fuzzy.

Do not accept what the new system software does to your 3G!

2. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Its good to know.

On the other hand my old 3G is running just fine on 4.0.1

When 4.0 came out I restored it and set it up as new.

3. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Wow. Well, perhaps you know, you can downgrade a 3G to the previous iOS (I did). But I suppose you're happy with the new phone. Did you just apply the $80 to the iP4 then?

I'd consider doing the same but don't like the stress of making a fuss at the genius bar, or any retail environment for that matter. I suppose once you've worked in service it creates a bad taste in your mouth.

But a $80 credit for a phone you could've downgraded, albeit not apple-officially, is a damn good concession. You must've either raised hell or had an extremely kind manager! Or a little of both. In the end though, you still re-invested in APPL. Congrats.

So, besides the obvious performance boost, how do you like your iPhone 4?

4. thehook thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Yes, I apllied my gift card to the iPhone 4. I love everything about the new iPhone. Lightning fast. When I push a button I'm there, no delay : ) Screen resolution and HD video are beautiful. Better quality than my Flip HD.

5. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

As it should be! Good news. Assuming yours is spanking new, curious to know how the antenna is. Do you get the signal loss when covering the bottom left line, or holding in your left hand for 10-15 seconds? (you're new, or else I wouldn't bother to explain)

If not though, even better news! :) I'm waiting to buy, hoping things improve.

6. thehook thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi there. I threw a bumper on there from the get go and haven't had problem 1. Good to go.

7. zizo79 macrumors 6502a

zizo79

awesome ! I actually was about to visit the Apple store today about the same issue

8. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Nice. So you hadn't reserved an iPhone 4 or anything? You think they had 'em in stock for walk-ins, or were you just that special?

Supply seems pretty tight still. I'm considering just waiting until I can just walk in and buy one on the spot. All this frenzy of late kind of turns me off to it, and I'd like it to be a pleasant experience. (no I don't want to order online either) :cool:

9. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Don't count on getting the same, bub. That's a manager's discretion type of deal. And I dare to say most aren't that sympathetic. Especially the ones that know you can actually downgrade. But let us know what happens.

10. zizo79 macrumors 6502a

zizo79

I will. My 3G has been useless as well since I upgraded to 4.0.1 especially the battery life and WIFI