Just received my 27" i7 iMac, and I have some questions please...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pb1300, Mar 19, 2010.

1. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

Quick rundown...I ordered the machine in December, and it was suppose to come last week. I called the company we order from last Monday, and they said I would get it the Thursday or Friday of that week. Well, the Tuesday after, I got an email from corporate saying that they stopped business with the company I ordered the iMac from, and any orders from that day, and prior, would be canceled, so I thought I was crap out of luck. Well today, the i7 came in, and I was ecstatic to say the least. Anyways....I have a few questions, and was hoping I can get some help here:

1. I am adding 4gb of ram, should I do any type of restore after I add the ram? I read that some do a full system restore when they get their new machines. Is that necessary?

2. What should I use to backup what I have on my 20" iMac, and transfer it to my new one? I used a program to backup what was on my old HD to a new one when I swapped them out in my MB, but I dont recall the name of it.

3. Can I back up my iTunes and iPhoto to my new 2TB drive, and use that as its storage? What I mean is can I store everything on there, and still be able to access it from my MB or Apple TV?

I appreciate all the help guys (and gals).

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

3. bobriot macrumors member

When installing memory I can recommend Crucial as they offer good quality Micron RAM at reasonable prices, just use their wizard to select the correct type. Install it and it should be recognised immediatley and used.

The migration assistant is excellent. Just do a full time machine backup from your 20" and then point the migration assistant on the 27" to it. After a [short] while the new 27" will have everything on it. It really is impressive.

With the 2TB drive just make a foler structure to hold the data and you should be able to access the data on it. Remember to use a backup for your music an pics as relying on one disk to hold it all is risky. Keep at least two copies if possible.

Happy Maccing!

BR

4. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can I just connect my 20" to my 27" via FW, and do the migration that way? I was going to do that, and let it do its thing while I go back to work.

I think I am going to pick up another HD from my store today, just so I can have a secondary backup. I have a lot of music and pictures, and I really dont feel like losing everything.

Thanks for the help!

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

In regards to using Migration Assistant, note that your 27" has only FireWire 800 so make sure you have a suitable cable.

6. DR_K13 macrumors regular

I have one of these running in RAID 1 as my backup.
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=621

7. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Man, I noticed that earlier today lol. I am not going to buy the wire strictly for the transfer, so I am just going to do it via Time Machine.

8. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I used Migration Assistant, but I didnt get any of my files transferred over. I got the applications, and I can see my old folders, but they are saying that I dont have access to them. There is a small red circle with a minus sign on the folders. Anyone know what I did/am doing wrong?