Just received my Gold VZW 64gb 5s, having second thoughts .. questions!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arbitrageur, Sep 26, 2013.

1. arbitrageur macrumors newbie

FedEx just dropped off my gold 64gb Verizon 5s, but second-guessing myself whether to keep it or just use my Black 64gb 5.

I heard that if I return it to VZW, I'd probably get hit by a restocking fee even if I bought it full-price to maintain my unlimited plan so I was thinking of selling it (note not profiting from it) .. does anyone know if the phone is already linked to my phone number and the SIM card in it (if any as I still have the iPhone 5 sim) is also tied to my account?

Could anyone weigh in if my account/phone no. might get compromised if I decide to sell it sealed in box?

Thanks.

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

I'd call up Verizon and ask them about the sim card since the phone hasn't been activated yet.

3. rnbgrilla macrumors member

Keep the Gold & Sell The iphone 5

4. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Sell the gold and the 5 and buy the space grey and have extra money.

6. legioxi macrumors 6502a

The SIM will activate on your line. I would open, activate, move SIM to your old iPhone 5, wipe 5S and sell.

This is assuming you don't want to keep the 5S.

7. arbitrageur thread starter macrumors newbie

Weighing my decision after the number of opinions to sell the gold 5s.

Legioxi, seem to agree with your thoughts of the SIM activating on my line (even if I still have my activated SIM on my black 5) .. reluctant to open the box as I might have problems selling it unsealed, waiting to get through to Verizon. All agents are busy now :(

8. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

Should have gotten the white 5S. Best color way.

9. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Legioxi is correct. It's already linked to the sim in the phone. If you sell it and someone activates it, they will have your phone number. You need to activate it or return it.

10. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Space Gray is way better. :)
    White iPhone 5s just looks like the iPhone 5. Boring....

11. dvoros macrumors 6502

gold iphone 5

At least you got yours. I have to wait until November to receive mine. Lousy planning by Apple (yet again). Innovation has left the building.:mad:

12. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Yet you still seem to vote with your wallet. :rolleyes:

13. wxman2003 Suspended

You will have no problem selling it, even if you open the box. Since you aren't out to make a profit, several people will pay what you paid for it.

14. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I think space grey is boring. I had the black 5 and got the grey on launch I felt like I had the same phone. Returned it and got the gold instead and loving it.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I wouldn't fault you for selling the gold. Around here the 64GB is selling for upwards of $1200 cash.

To answer your question about the sim, if you bought it off contract it won't be linked to your phone number in any way yet. You'd have to swap sims and call in to have that done.

IMO it's not an amazing upgrade from the 5 (yet) because we aren;t taking advantage of the hardware (yet). If you need/want the fingerprint scanner, great. If not, keep your 5. You are missing out on nothing.

16. KPOM macrumors G5

As we all know there were never any product shortages when Steve Jobs was CEO.:rolleyes:

If anything, the rollouts have gotten smoother.

17. joshdammit macrumors 6502

I don't think you know what the word "innovation" means.

Unless you're saying Apple should revolutionize a magical new method of mass-producing and shipping a high-demand product. The iShip. I can imagine Jony Ive's commercial for that.

18. arbitrageur thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks lordofthereef .. just got off the phone with VZW: as you said, they mentioned that the iPhone 5s I received is not yet activated nor linked to my line. Whoever it ends up with (if I sell it) would have to activate the phone/SIM card on VZW/their network .. the only caveat is if I activate or switch my device while logged on to VZW or through the automated phone system, then the phone/SIM would automatically be activated under my account.

Have the same thing in mind - I'm not 100% with the 5s being an upgrade to the 5 hence the dilemma I find myself in.

Thanks to everyone for the input .. decisions, decisions.

19. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Make it easier on yourself. Play with a 5S in the store. Any place (virtually) that sells iPhones should have a working unit. If you love it, keep it. If not, then sell it for a nice little profit and buy yourself another if you decide you want it again a couple months down the road. They will have everything in stock by Christmas. I can all but guarantee it (based on previous years experience).

20. scoop2mylue macrumors 6502a

scoop2mylue

agree silver 5S best color choice

21. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

open it pop out the SIM card and sell it to me. I'll give you $875... I'm serious, message me. Can meet in person