just saw a Sprint commercial they were advertising 4G network

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Srapinal, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Srapinal macrumors newbie

they said they are the best 3g network and introducing 4G network... weird

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

yeah they made an announcement the 4G was being rolled out to 10 cities last month.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's called LTE. It will be in the iPhone of 2010, I bet.

4. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

What's weird about it? Many providers in the world are going to 4G (UMTS LTE) over the next year and a bit.

One reason why there most likely won't be a new iPhone this year.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What does LTE not existing have to do with the iPhone of this year, which will be released?

"Oh, protein-coated disks are coming out, that means there won't be any upgrades to any disk format until they come out!"

"Holographic data storage is coming out; better forget about making any new solid state drives!"

It's crazy to think that long-term technology will stop short-term advances from happening.

6. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Unlike your silly comments LTE does exist and is being rolled out now. When is "holographic data storage" coming?

Well most are locked into a two year term, (yes there are some people that don't have an iPhone) so there potential market would be drastically smaller. Then they would have to design and tool up for a 4G LTE to release a year later. Companies do make money by running a platform out for awhile. The most you'll see this year is maybe a memory size upgrade (along with the 3.0 software), the next major iPhone release will be the 4G.

You can take your little ignorant comments and stuff them. One year is not a long term, considering we have some of the LTE equipment installed and tested, the first sites will be fully operational end of this year and the entire system should be fully up be 3rd/4th quarter 2010. I'm not one of the little snot nosed "where's my mms crowd". I've worked in the communications industry for years. They could surprise me, but I'm not counting on it, my money is placed on the 4G LTE being the next generation iPhone. Oh yeah that just about runs out the exclusivity deal with AT&T and Verizon is putting in 4G LTE.

I know you want a new little toy to take to school with you to impress your friends but you'll likely have to wait until the grown-ups decide to make one.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Everyone with an original iPhone has their contracts ending. Don't tell me they don't want to retain them.

They did the same thing with 3G.

And you can have this opportunity to edit your post to omit this sentence before I enact the forum rules, please.

And so the LTE iPhone will be out in Q2 2010, just in time for you to get your act together and get the service into existence. This does not stop a new iPhone from coming out this year in any way.

Not voice, just data.

Really pathetic and childish. Don't patronize me; you can't win like that.

8. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Have you been asleep for the last 3 months?

9. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Win what?

10. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

No. Have you?

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The argument. You can't get me mad like that; it only invalidates your points by showing that you have to stoop to emotional inflammation to get the other side to falter. I can assure you, I will not.

I would, however, respond to a rebuttal that Verizon is not only moving data, but also voice to LTE protocols, as I have not seen any news as of yet that states that they will move both. Should you find a press release stating such, I will concede that point to you and await a Verizon-unlockable iPhone with great interest.

However, you have still said nothing that leads me to believe that Apple will not release an updated iPhone this year prior to an LTE iPhone in years to come.

12. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Yea, people that make comments like that are probably the ones that just bought the 3G a month ago and know they aren't going to be able to get the new one without getting shafted on the price or their mommies bought them one and won't let them have another one anytime soon therefore they get pissed when anyone thinks or says anything new is coming soon.

:D

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I love when Tallest takes on the irrational. :)

WHY in the world would a network that AT&T will be late in the game to deploy anyway keep an iphone from recieving a spec bump this year?

Honda: "Looks like the boys over at Toyota released an improved Prius, i guess we can't put out an Accord this year."

That doesn't make sense, why would this one hold up?:confused:

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Just cause LTE is beeing rolled out this year it doesnt mean Apple is going to sit back and wait for LTE in order to upgrade their Iphone.
    Look at the first Edge iphone. 3G tech was out years and years but they still did great with it.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Folks...

Sprint's current 4G network is WiMAX, not LTE.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh, folly, that's right. :D:eek:

Verizon and AT&T are using LTE (T-Mobile, too?), and Sprint thinks that WiMAX will still work. Poor little Sprint.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont know how its going to work but if they completelly switch from CDMA to LTE wouldnt all current Verizon phones be useless?
    My guess is it will be gradually and it will take years while in the meantime they'd support both versions kinda like the old analog/digital phones.

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes, they would, and that's why they aren't switching all at once. Voice will be CDMA for years more as people upgrade their phones, and then when they deem that enough have upgraded, they'll finally kill CDMA, but they can't afford to give everyone a new phone all at once.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im really looking forward to LTE and to anyone from any company beeing able to use whatever phone they want.
    Unless offcourse companys still try to lock their cellphones.

20. Srapinal thread starter macrumors newbie

Why I think there will be a new iphone

iPhone 3.0 beta caught hiding video editing graphics

Next-gen iPod touch, iPhone to support low-power 802.11n

AT&T hurrying massive network update for new iPhone launch

Report: Apple's next iPhone to sport 3.2-megapixel camera

32GB High End iPhone and a Low End Version in Works?

Next Generation iPhone: 7.2Mbit, Video Camera, More?

Next-Generation iPhone to Have "Faster Internet Speeds"?

iPhone OS 3.0 Beta References Four Unknown Products

Upload Video' Screen Suggests Video Capabilities in Next iPhone

Multi-Core GPUs Announced from iPhone Chip Maker

these are all topics related to the new iphone.. DO you think these are ALL coincidences ?

i think not.. a new iphone WILL be here wether you want to believe it or not

21. MrGadget28 macrumors regular

So true:D

Anyway, there will be a new iPhone this summer. There will be another iPhone next year as well. There will be a new iPhone every year just like a new iPod.

Get used to it.

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yes, it's no different than the way the 3G iPhone falls back on EDGE and then to plain GPRS.

Outside of LTE coverage, phones will still have to fall back to GSM or CDMA, as the case may be. So they won't be compatible between ATT and Verizon until LTE is everywhere... and is used for voice with the same protocols... and even then I'd bet they'd keep them carrier locked or use slightly different comm methods.

Both carriers will be keeping their old GSM and CDMA methods around at least through the next decade.