Just saw MI: ghost protocol

imeth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Love seeing the black iPhone 4 or 4s being used. I wanted the white and regret black but not anymore. Also the case they were using looks like incase snap on?? Anybody else ?

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
I really don't care if iPhone is in a movie. I may think, hmmmm, that person is using an iPhone but it doesn't enhance the viewing experience for me. It could be an old nokia for all I care.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
I really don't care if iPhone is in a movie. I may think, hmmmm, that person is using an iPhone but it doesn't enhance the viewing experience for me. It could be an old nokia for all I care.
But for some people, they like having the same phone as a movie star.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
So many Apple campaign on movies nowadays. But on Ghost Protocol, the iPhone is really hidden well, it was encased and no Apple logo whatsoever, although we can know in a blink of an eye.. whoa that's an iOS lock screen :D

But for you who understand how things work, I don't really get it. How is this sponsorship works?
Do producers pay Apple for using its products on their movies? Or does it happens the other way around?

Is it Apple that want to do some marketing campaign? or the producers want the movies to look good and cool by using Apple?

thelookingglass

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
So many Apple campaign on movies nowadays. But on Ghost Protocol, the iPhone is really hidden well, it was encased and no Apple logo whatsoever, although we can know in a blink of an eye.. whoa that's an iOS lock screen :D

But for you who understand how things work, I don't really get it. How is this sponsorship works?
Do producers pay Apple for using its products on their movies? Or does it happens the other way around?

Is it Apple that want to do some marketing campaign? or the producers want the movies to look good and cool by using Apple?
I'm pretty sure Apple paid for the product placement in the movie. Corporate logos aren't typically that prominent unless there's paid sponsorship involved. There were iPhones and MacBook Airs in very prominent positions throughout the movie.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Where did the op say it made it a better movie ,he was just commenting that it was there and what case they used. Get over yourself.

imeth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Coming from a guy with "droid" in his name.. Yeah ok Motorola & android sucks

ChillyPepper

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
If you've realised, the director is Brad Bird. He directed The Incredibles and Ratatouille under Pixar. You can see where this goes.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Yeah, this was not paid product placement. The director worked with Steve Jobs and just likes Apple products:

http://www.cultofmac.com/136399/how...-4-director-love-apple-let-us-count-the-ways/
One can draw that inference, sure, but there's nothing in that article that states conclusively one way or another that the product placement wasn't paid for. Surely there are more voices at play in a big budget film than just the director's.

I admit, when I saw an iPhone in the movie I thought: "there's no way iPhones would be used in real life. The battery would drain too quickly!" lol ...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
One can draw that inference, sure, but there's nothing in that article that states conclusively one way or another that the product placement wasn't paid for. Surely there are more voices at play in a big budget film than just the director's.

I admit, when I saw an iPhone in the movie I thought: "there's no way iPhones would be used in real life. The battery would drain too quickly!" lol ...
This article touches on the same issue. Although Apple denies they do product placement they are listed as an "official partner" in the credits.

I enjoyed the movie but thought at times it was one, long Apple/BMW ad.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Love seeing the black iPhone 4 or 4s being used. I wanted the white and regret black but not anymore. Also the case they were using looks like incase snap on?? Anybody else ?
You, my friend, are living proof that people buy items based their popularity.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
But for some people, they like having the same phone as a movie star.
Yeah, those people are called losers. IF they get self worth because X movie star has the same phone then they have major issues, ones that can't be helped by their favorite actor using the same phone they have.

Coming from a guy with "droid" in his name.. Yeah ok Motorola & android sucks
Wouldn't know as I have never used an android OS product. Used a motorola before, wasn't bad. You have meth in your name, does that mean you're a tweaker?

Where did the op say it made it a better movie ,he was just commenting that it was there and what case they used. Get over yourself.
Obviously you have some reading comprehension issues.... never said OP said it made the movie better..... I said it doesn't enhance MY movie experience. He did say he loved seeing it in the move, but take that as you will..... So take a bit of your own advice. ;)

Last edited:

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Product placement on feature films results in huge sales, across many different products.

Angelina Jolie wore a specific pair of sunglasses several years ago in one film and they sold over 100,000 pair the week after the film's release. A friend who owns a branded high end eyewear shop says they have to follow movie stars very closely to know what inventory to carry. It can make the difference between having a $20,000 week and and $50,000 week in terms of sales if they have the "in" glasses in stock. Manufacturers need to be ready as well to catch the spike in demand, as it's fickle as well and will fade quickly.

It's just a fact of retail and why people buy what they buy.

I guarantee that Air and iPhone sales were boosted by this film, as well as any other form of advertising.

kaizenmx

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2011
Seriously, watching the movie while characters using apple products as a means of high gadget made me LMFAO.

Seriously, is MIF really that low in budget that their last resort is to use some kind of public prdoucts for their inventory gadgets??

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I know it's just a movie, shut it.

Last edited:

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I'm more of the type of person that doesn't care what others think of my property, or what movie/tv show it might be shown in.
I don't buy things for what someone else might think. I buy them because of what I think.

But yeah, I'm a rebel.

cipher29

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
Nokia is classic for movie product placement of their phones. As a Nokia fan, I always enjoyed that!

tanneritekid

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
After seeing the movie and all the apple products in it. I wonder if they had a prototype "mini ipad"?

HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

EmbraceTheOne

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2011
Before I say anything..

MI: Ghost Protocol = Best movie of 2011.

I said to my friend halfway through the movie, "I love how it's all iPhones and Macs.'
:)

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
Watch Morgan spurlocks greatest movie ever sold, it gives an insight into how these movie partnerships work.

Im quite looking forward to going to see MI when I get the chance

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Before I say anything..

MI: Ghost Protocol = Best movie of 2011.

I said to my friend halfway through the movie, "I love how it's all iPhones and Macs.'
:)
I really enjoyed it but I wouldn't go as far as saying it was the best movie. I've seen a lot of movies this year so can't remember which I would say is the best but I really liked The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo despite my hatred for Daniel Craig for replacing Pierce Brosnan as James Bond. I'm not old enough to have seen the older James Bond movies so I'm not saying Pierce Brosnan was better than the previous ones but I definitely liked him more than Daniel Craig

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.