Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christall109

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
I'm a huge fan of Family Guy, especially all of their cut away scenes and satirical imagery of many of the most popular pop culture references of the last 30 somewhat years.

Something Something Something Dark Side was absolutely hilarious. For those of you that don't know, it came out on Blu-Ray and DVD today and will air on TV I think as the current season's finale. It will sure make a great last minute Christmas gift for any Family Guy Fan.

Seth MacFarlane says he probably won't do the prequel trilogy, but says he will most likely do other 80's franchises like Back to the Future and Indian Jones.

I personally would love to see a Back to the Future Parody. Even though I grew up in the 90s my Dad exposed them to me and they quickly became one of my childhood's favorites. It also makes sense due to the sheer number of Back to the Future references in Family Guy. It definitely has, if not more, satirical references in Family Guy than Star Wars. There was even a big Back to the Future reference in Something Something Something Dark Side! It seems only logical that's where Seth MacFarlane will strike next.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I'll probably rent it sometime. I love Family Guy, but don't like Star Wars at all. I guess you don't have to like Star Wars to like this though.

I'm not a big fan of Star Wars but I still enjoyed it. Very worthwhile watching, not as good as the first SW spoof, but still good overall.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Is this Blue Harvest? Hasn't this been out for... well, over a year?

Edit: I guess not, the quote 'Something Something Something Dark Side' is also in Blue Harvest and I just got confused. I look forward to seeing this.

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Family guy came on tv last night, I had to turn it off even though I was asleep in the other room. So annoying, I can't believe it's so popular, but then again so are personal automobiles and skinny jeans.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I thought it was okay, not as good as Blue Harvest. The intro stab at Fox was pretty good mind you :D.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
Is this Blue Harvest? Hasn't this been out for... well, over a year?

Edit: I guess not, the quote 'Something Something Something Dark Side' is also in Blue Harvest and I just got confused. I look forward to seeing this.

This is the sequel to Blue Harvest. The episode V to episode IV of the actual films.

I though it was awesome! Watched it again a few hours later. I'm a big fan of Star Wars and Family Guy so this was doublely good!

christall109

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
I thought it was okay, not as good as Blue Harvest. The intro stab at Fox was pretty good mind you :D.

That's like picking amongst the children that I don't have. I think they were equally good. I think you just liked the first one because it was fresh....even though Robot Chicken has done it before.

I would love a "Back to the Future" one though.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I've never seen or heard of Robot Chicken (apart from at the end of these shows). Maybe it's because I like Episode IV better than V. Yoda was a nice touch, after the episode I went and looked up if what he was saying was true.

hazza.jockel

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
in a swag
I use to love Family Guy but recently i think its become quite repetitive. Some of the cut scenes go for way too long in my opinion, such as the song scenes and when someone falls over and they hold their leg for a few minutes. I find that gets boring.

I have seen the new star wars one and it had a few funny moments but i didn't really enjoy it overall.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
Some of the cut scenes go for way too long in my opinion, such as the song scenes and when someone falls over and they hold their leg for a few minutes. I find that gets boring.

They keep it going for a long time because that's what makes it funny. Right when you think it should end it just keeps on going. If you've seen the episode where Stewie and Brian try and renovate a house, when they blow it up the explosion is repeated dozens of times. Right when you think they've shown the explosion from enough angles it just keeps on going. It's funny because it's so random and annoying.... but I think it takes a certain type of 'mood' to find it funny. If I'm in the wrong mood then I won't find it funny at all.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Meh. Family Guy has always been a cheap knockoff of the early Simpsons season. It was fun for one or two seasons, but has sunk into repetitive, mindless drivel--once upon a time, there was some amusing satire, ut most of it was just ripped off from Homer and co. to begin with.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Meh. Family Guy has always been a cheap knockoff of the early Simpsons season. It was fun for one or two seasons, but has sunk into repetitive, mindless drivel--once upon a time, there was some amusing satire, ut most of it was just ripped off from Homer and co. to begin with.

And where the Simpsons wasn't funny, Family Guy is. I dunno, I love the legacy of the Simpsons but it never made me laugh. It was a gentle sitcom grounded in reality that has recently tried to become too random for its own good. It might have changed but I gave up watching a few years ago.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
And where the Simpsons wasn't funny, Family Guy is. I dunno, I love the legacy of the Simpsons but it never made me laugh. It was a gentle sitcom grounded in reality that has recently tried to become too random for its own good. It might have changed but I gave up watching a few years ago.

Yeah, don't get me wrong--the Simpsons hasn't really been funny since Season 9 or so (several years ago). Early Family Guy was done largely by ex-Simpsons people, and it showed--FG was nearly a carbon copy of the Simpsons in the beginning. Since then, it's just gotten stupid and repetitive--then again, I'm not a huge American-style comedy fan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.