Just so everyone knows, the speakers in the new macbooks are AWESOME

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by likemyorbs, Oct 15, 2008.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

they really are, so much louder and clear than the older ones, even tiny things like the new email sound, sound different. anyone else with a new macbook notice this?

2. illu macrumors member

3. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

How's the Bass? It's incredibly lacking in my current Macbook.

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I don't think I've ever seen a laptop with good bass.

5. Jpoon macrumors 6502

It's pretty impossible to produce great sound out of an aluminum block....

It's nice to hear they improved on the sound though. The speakers on the plastic models are pretty terrible.

6. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

the bass is still so so. but the speakers still sound better. and off topic... the trackpad is really phenomenal, all the people who were bashing it before trying it are stupid.

7. christiemp macrumors regular

christiemp

I agree. I'm using pandora while my itunes library is ripping from my ipod and it sounds pretty darn good for a laptop! :)

I haven't tested bass really yet...but I'm sure it's just as good as the rest of the sound. :D I'm so pleased with my purchase...of course I am..it's day 1 ;) LOL!

8. christiemp macrumors regular

christiemp

I totally agree! The multi-touch alone is almost worth the immense price I payed for mine. I like that you can scroll sideways with multi-touch! :) And I love the no actual button. It takes getting used to, but the large area makes it much easier for me to use than a normal trackpad on most lappys :D

9. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

Where are the speakers? Are they hidden beneath the keyboard similar to the mono speaker on the MBA?

10. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

the speakers seem to face downward on the bottom. if you lift the computer off of the table, it gets pretty darn loud. the downside is the entire case vibrates considerably with full volume.

11. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

True enough.

I recently bought a pair of $40 JBL Duet aluminum speakers, and they sound incredible. As good as a set of several hundred dollars.

12. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I can attest that the speakers are pretty damn good and far far better than the old macbooks. Apparently there is some kind of subwoofer built in.... Lets put it this way in a very busy apple store you can hear the speakers pretty well.

ShadoW

13. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

NICE! I hurt my hearing on 1 ear so I always had trouble hearing voices in many movies while using the speakers on my old MacBook. Let's hope it works now :)

14. lekun macrumors regular

I don't know if the speakers have moved, but their grille has. In prior MacBooks the speaker grilles were to the right and left of the screen hinge. In these new MacBooks the grille is in the hinge area where the screen attaches to the unibody construction. The effect is the same: the music projects out and bounces off the screen.

I don't think they are substantially improved. They are loud–perhaps louder. But their fidelity is not much improved if any at all. They never were bad speakers, even going back to the 12 inch PowerBook (which pioneered this speaker placement) for laptop speakers.

I'll compare them to the MacBook Pro later, and update my review with my findings.

15. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Just as a point of interest here:

Apple introduced new speakers to the MacBook line with the revisions it made on November 1st 2007. If you got your MacBook before then you will have older speakers which were not so loud.

I got one of these later model MacBooks and I just got the new aluminium one today - there really is no difference here. The speakers in the new MacBook are the same as the ones they are replacing.

16. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

i had the last revision white macbook, and i still notice a big difference on the sound quality on the aluminum one...

17. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I noticed instantly the speakers were louder than my white MacBook.
    On the aluminum MacBook the speakers are under the keyboard from what the manual shows.

18. clamchowderz macrumors member

I agree, the speakers are soooo much better!

I listen to music on the 3rd bar now, with headphones of course.

19. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

Great! I've been waiting for someone to talk about the speakers. This will be my final point in trying to buy the macbook now...but I probably won't be able to get one 'till rev B:(. Oh Well...Heres to waiting!

20. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Haha, thanks for reading the manual! I did not know that. :)

The MB Alu speakers rock! Now I can give presentations from my MacBook. :cool:

21. MacTeen macrumors newbie

Aww, good for you, guys! I'm currently using the old blackbook and every time I listen to music or watch a couple of movies, the sound hurts my ears. It's not loud, but it feels like so. Unlike my friend's MBP, the sound is really good. They're not supposed to be compared, I know; it's unfair. :D

About the trackpad, I think it's pretty awesome for the glassbook. I owned a Toshiba laptop before and it's nice to just tap than click the button. LOL

22. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

New speakers means you change the headphone volume..

What.

23. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

He's saying the speakers are louder, therefor he doesnt need to turn the volume up as much...