Just sold 3GS. Will using old phone for 10 days cancel upgrade eligibility?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vince24L, Jun 14, 2010.

1. vince24L macrumors member

I just sold my 3GS on ebay for about $300.
    If I use my treo for 10 days will that change my upgrade eligibility in any way? Since it says "Existing iPhone customers....." get the early upgrade.

2. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

As long as you keep paying the iPhone data plan, you are okay.

3. iadam09 macrumors regular

I thought the iPhone data plan goes away on its own once you switch phones...

4. carlili4190 macrumors regular

An ATT rep said it would cancel upgrade eligibility...

5. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

You have to willfully cancel it.

6. mike1123 macrumors 6502

mike1123

There have been some reports of AT&T doing random "scans", if you will, that see if customers with iPhone data plans are actually using iPhones. If not, they bump you off the unlimited plan something else, and there is no way to get it back. I also read something about somebody losing their upgrade, but I feel that's a little much. I wouldn't risk it. If I was in your situation, I wouldn't let my SIM near any other phone.

7. christyn macrumors 6502a

Mixed reports on this.

I have a friend who both lost her data plan and her upgrade by putting her sim in an old AT&T phone.

I sold my 3GS last week and am going cell phone-less until the 24th. Not worth the risk.

8. Nickel Dime Bay macrumors regular

i sold my 3GS in april and been using a BB, i LOST my upgrade eligibility and my upgrade date is in Dec 2010. i only qualify for the 399/499 price.

9. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I'm using a dumb phone for a few days too. Unless you specifically cancel it, I seriously doubt they are going to change your plan.

Think about it, why would they be in a hurry to remove a $30 charge from your bill?

I think the reports of people losing their unlimited data are people who actually registered the new phone with AT&T, which is a dumb thing to do.

Lastly, if they DO remove the unlimited data, you can probably raise hell with customer service and escalate it to the point where you get it back. You did not intentionally ask them to change your plan, so you have every right to raise hell about it.

10. mike1123 macrumors 6502

mike1123

This happened because you are no longer an iPhone customer in the eyes of AT&T, and the 6 month bump of eligibility is for current iPhone customers.

11. coasterswim macrumors 6502

As far as what I've heard, there is no possible way to get the unlimited data plan back once it's gone. It's not even a system option so no level of manager or supervisor could add it to your plan.

12. jalpert macrumors 6502

AT&T can and does attempt to detect what phone you are using, it usually takes them about 3 days to hit your account and make changes. Not only will you probably (I'm sure they've made mistakes and missed some people) loose your upgrade eligibility but you will also loose your unlimited data plan.

After the 4g comes out, you might take a small hit for your used phone but between the upgrade eligibility and the unlimited data plan I don't think it's worth it to sell early, though I have every other year.

13. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Yes, I know. I've read all the Chicken Little posts about how the sky is falling, but there is ALWAYS a way to re-add this stuff. I worked for T-Mobile years ago and if you went high enough in management, they could re-add a grandfathered plan from 3 years ago.

I think everyone is just getting a little too crazy about this unlimited data stuff, and trying to come up with every possible nightmare scenario of how AT&T is going to screw them, when in fact, it is most likely that nothing will happen and everything will work out just fine.

Take a breath, people.

14. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

By the way, AT&T not only condones, but actually recommends that you use a cheap phone when you travel, instead of your iPhone. This means that they recommend you take your SIM and put it into a dumb phone for a few weeks.

You're telling me that the system will automatically drop all these people from the iPhone plan, even if they are doing what AT&T recommended? I admit that anything is possible, but come on. Common sense.

15. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Yeah, "Rethink Possible" is AT&T's new slogan, so think common sense, then RETHINK and you'll have AT&T.... lol.

I too confirm that once a non-iPhone IMEI connects to your account the plan is auto-removed. If you read your terms and conditions it's in there. I personally saw an account that was eligible, and once the sim changed to the new device it was ineligible, and there's no manual override since Apple's in charge of the phone swaps.... don't take the chance.

16. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

There is much misinformation in this thread it's not even funny. AT&T will not cancel your data plan if you temporary switch to a different device UNLESS you call and epcifically ask to be removed. I have swapped my SIM's in and out of iPhone countless times while I travel or just because I was trying out a new phone and I was never removed from iPhone data plan.

Yes, AT&T does random IMEI sweeps, but only to ensure that smartphone users do have data plan, NOT the other way around.

17. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Show me where AT&T's website recommends you get a cheap phone to take when traveling internationally... THATS ABSURD. The whole point of an iPhone is that it supports AT&T's global roaming, a major money maker for AT&T. They ENCOURAGE you to take the phone internationally, and it's their whole sell having one device with voice and data covering the planet. You CLEARLY are misled, maybe you live in Po Doken, Iowa and the sales rep there has never left the city and fears the "scarry big world" outside of Iowa, the US, but I can deal you you're absolutely WRONG.

18. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Wow, dude. Relax.

There is absolutely no issue with swapping your SIM between phones. Many people do so when they're traveling abroad, especially in countries where theft is a serious issue. AT&T would not punish its users for not carrying their incredibly expensive phone overseas and instead choosing to use a cheaper world-phone with the same SIM.

19. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

the amount of bad information in this thread is staggering. you can temporarily switch your phone without losing your plan. I have done it more then a few times for travel reasons.

/endthread

20. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

Show me where AT&T cancels your upgrade eligibility for swapping SIM's. Bet $10 you can't.

21. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

so a non iPhone customer can put their sim in a iPhone 3GS today and they will be able to get the upgrade price??

22. mbaran macrumors regular

I've been using a BB Curve since the keynote, and I'm still eligible as of 5 minutes ago.

23. bella92108 macrumors 68000

I never said ATT would punish you, I simply said they don't encourage people not to take their phone that does it all globally with them when they travel.

24. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

AT&T auto switched my plan to a smartphone plan after a few days of having my sim card in a T-Mo Nexus One. It was a higher priced plan too (higher than 3G iphone plan). I have a 2G iphone and the Nexus One was running on Edge.

I also used a BB Curve for 24 hours and they didn't auto-switch me to a BB Data Plan. Note: It's really hard to use a BB on an iPhone data plan. :D

25. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Clearly it's happening to many people. We all know AT&T often has scattered policies such as this.

To me it's not worth the risk of it happening to me. Since this is a VOLUNTARY upgrade eligibility they're doing, once you lose it it's gone, and they have zero liability to re-grant eligibility... so sure, many will swap sims and still keep upgrade eligibility, but some will and have lost their eligibility as a result, so the question is are you willing to risk it? I'm not given there's no contractual obligation for AT&T to give you the eligibility back since it wasn't a contracted promise to begin with.