Just sold an iPhone 4S on eBay, how do I protect against fraud?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by davidg4781, Dec 29, 2013.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I just sold a Sprint iPhone 4S on eBay. I want to make sure if it is fraudulent I don't get hosed. I was straight forward and honest in the description, had photos. The only thing I didn't do was to turn on whatever it's called to prevent loser eBayers from bidding on my stuff. I haven't seen that option online in a while now that they've moved things around.

The buyer is from Florida. I googled the address and it looks like a home. I also googled her email address and found her Twitter (last post from 2010) and her Apple support profile (looks like she has/had a Verizon 4S and has friends in the Dominican Republic).

It's amazing what you can find online!

Anyway, her address is "confirmed" on the PayPal email. Is that any different than verified? It also says I'm eligible for Seller Protection.

I'm going to send it off either Monday or Tuesday (today is Sunday). Aside from taking pics of me boxing it up and getting the S/N, are there any other steps I need to take in case this goes south?

2. B2FiNiTY macrumors member

Insure the package for the full amount an add signature confirmation.

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Sounds easy enough. I'll need to get the S/N. I've heard of scammers buying a phone on eBay and then sending their old broken phone back saying it was broken. I know she has a 4S already so the thought's in my head now.

4. JayLenochiniMac, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Smart sellers do not buy insurance as the buyer has ebay buyer protection and no incentive to cooperate (in helping you file a claim, etc.); signature confirmation is what protects you against item not received.

ebay sellers have won counterclaims against wrong/broken iPhone or empty package received under paypal seller protection. You must be prepared to provide documentations, police report, etc. Take lots of close up photos and you can use those to compare to the wrong/broken iPhone as evidence. They probably wouldn't consider boxing video as it doesn't really prove anything (you can always send them a different package after the fact), but go ahead if it helps with your sanity.

Don't worry about them having multiple iPhones. Some of my buyers purchase multiple unlocked iPhones for out of country friends/relatives, etc. If anything, if ebay is still allowing them to bid on multiple phones they're still good as they do put scammers on the blacklist when caught.

5. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

For an extra [over] precaution, you can always do the following:
    1. When shipping: Record on video how you put the phone into a box and seal it, and also you handing it to the UPS/DHL/Whatever guy and make him say his employee number. Video must have NO cuts whatsoever, of course.
    2. Upon possible returnings, as soon as the messenger shows up, record him stating his employee number and open it in front of him. Again, no video cuts.

These are pretty extreme, but hey, you looked like you wanted to be super extra cautious. ;)

6. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Alright, sent it off.

May have an issue though. I asked to have it insured. She said that comes with signature confirmation. I also asked where the tracking number was and she said when it's insured you use that. All she gave me was the receipt for the insurance.

I came home and typed that into the tracking system. On eBay it said that's the insurance number and may not be able to track it. On USPS.com it says Not Found.

I know it takes some time to update but will this be alright to use? Post Office is closed for the day and I've been on hold with the 800 number for 7 minutes now...

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This, if anything happens, you have proof the buyer got the device. Also, only send to verified addresses.

8. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Is Verified the same as Confirmed? What's the difference?

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It is. No difference.

10. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

It's been delivered. Guess she was there to sign for it.

So, my understanding is, I have 30 days from yesterday (when it was delivered) for her to file a claim or anything, right? After that she can't take my money back? I'm actually planning to leave the money in PayPal just in case.

11. Sceptre macrumors member

I have read your posts and you sound like you "expect" something bad to happen.
    Why? :confused:

12. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Paranoia? I've read quite a few horror stories on here. The last phone I sold on eBay was a BB Curve for I think $10. No risk there. I had this one listed on here for a couple of months as a Feeler and a For Sale... no bites. It was on CL for a couple of weeks too I think, maybe a month. Nothing. I popped it up on eBay with a $250 BIN and it sold within an hour I think. And that seems to be how some of these problem ones start. I'm sure I'm overthinking things but I just don't want to goof up somewhere, this be a scam, and I lose out some money.