Just sold my 15” MacBook Pro - What would you have done/thoughts?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dubba, Oct 23, 2006.

  1. Dubba macrumors regular

    Oct 4, 2006
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Last Monday, I received a brand new 15” MacBook Pro (2.0GHz, 80GB HD) from AppleCare (UK) as a replacement for a 12” PowerBook which had to be repaired three times.

    I have pretty much decided to go with a White MacBook, although I had some inclinations towards the 17” Macbook Pro (primarily because of screen size, but the casing and option of a matte screen also appealed).

    Anyway, I have to sell the 15” MacBook Pro in order to finance the MacBook, and I have finally been able to (well, in a few hours – I am meeting the buyer in 4 hours). Basically, I sold it for £1,000 ($1,882), which is £399 less than the UK retail price, and £286 less that the UK Education price. However, it is very close to the US Education price (£1,012/$1,907), which is where I would have bought it had I gone retail. Hence, I am £12 short, but I should be able to recover that by selling my spare 12" PowerBook Battery, which gets me to a break-even point.

    I am planning to use the proceeds to buy a 12” MacBook (120GB) + AppleCare at the US Education store for £1,007 ($1,897), which is only a few pounds/dollars more than what I am getting for the MacBook Pro. Basically, I feel that I got a 40GB larger hard drive and AppleCare for the same price as a MacBook Pro, which I would have had to buy AppleCare for.

    I am going to up the RAM to 2GB in any case (whether I had kept the MacBook Pro or the MacBook).

    What would you have done?

    P.S. My needs are simple: e-mail, browsing, office applications, iPhoto, and iTunes – no gaming or editing.

    P.P.S. My original 12" PowerBook cost me £952/$1,793, if that makes a difference to your thoughts.
  2. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

    Mar 24, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    i think the macbook is perfect for your needs, and the decision to trade was good :)
  3. meepm00pmeep macrumors 6502


    Sep 20, 2006
    yah, i think the MacBook is perfect for your needs.. (also, it's 13" not 12")
  4. extraextra macrumors 68000


    Jun 29, 2006
    The Macbook suited your needs more, so it was good that you sold your MBP.
  5. lmalave macrumors 68000


    Nov 8, 2002
    Chinatown NYC
    Good choice! The MacBooks are an amazing value.
  6. Dubba thread starter macrumors regular

    Oct 4, 2006
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Thanks for all the feedback and validation - it is nice to know that many of you would have done the same.

    I have just come back from completing the transaction and look forward to ordering my MacBook soon... although, my wife's iBook is working perfectly well for me, so now I am thinking about perhaps waiting for Leopard, but we'll see how long she can handle being without her lovely Mac!

  7. YS2003 macrumors 68020


    Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    Buying is a personal decision. So, as long as you are satisfied with the arrangement you made, that is what counts.
    But, if I were you, I would have kept the MBP because of my personal preferences.
  8. PowerMike G5 macrumors 6502

    Oct 22, 2005
    New York, NY
    Yes, as long as you are happy with your purchase, then all is good in the world :)
  9. kalun macrumors regular

    Sep 13, 2006
    I think it is a very bad idea to sell your laptop and purchase product that does not exist.....:p
  10. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

    Jiddick ExRex

    May 14, 2006
    Roskilde, DK
    I may be a slow morning starter but what do you mean?

    Anyways, I wouldn't have done it. Just so you know and make you feel bad.
  11. interlaced macrumors 6502a


    Nov 16, 2005
    I thought it was a great decision. I did something similar when I sold my 17" Macbook Pro and got a 15" instead. The 15" I got included Applecare as well as a few extras. The price difference wasn't an issue since I had gotten the 17" at 1/3 below retail from a local guy who was also downgrading. I think using some of the savings towards Applecare is an excellent choice too. ;)
  12. Koodauw macrumors 68040


    Nov 17, 2003
    Ill second this, I prefer the MBP to the MB, especially if the only difference you are getting is applecare. You have 1 yr to buy the Applecare, why not just save up for it? Anyways, if you are happy, then you have made the right decision.
  13. nioh macrumors newbie

    Oct 17, 2006
    Stockholm, SE
    get the Applecare on ebay instead and get yourself an external monitor if you want the extra real estate :)
  14. kalun macrumors regular

    Sep 13, 2006
    there is no such as a 12 inch macbook...at least not yet...:D
  15. joe50000 macrumors member

    Oct 23, 2006
    There's going to be a new Macbook released soon so I guess it was a good choice. Although I would have stuck with the powerbook.
  16. XP Defector macrumors 6502

    Apr 5, 2006
    I've got a MacBook 2Ghz 512RAM 60GB HD (White). Well to be honest, I'd have kept the MacBook Pro because I believe they are superior laptops. That said, MacBook definitely holds it's own and I sincerely doubt you'll suffer dissapointment.

Share This Page