Just sold my iPhone 5 for $560 + shipping

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nikhsub1, Sep 26, 2013.

1. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

So, it pays to keep your phone in good shape, have applecare and all accessories in good order (along with the box). My 3 day auction for my white 64GB ATT unlocked iPhone 5 just sold for $560 plus shipping. More than paid for my full upgrade 64GB 5s... Anyway, just wanted to share, nothing more to see here :)

2. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

If sold on eBay id wait 30 days to celebrate lots of scamming buyers on eBay

3. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Good job on the resale price you managed to get. IMO, this is the No. 1 reason why everyone should always buy an iPhone over other smartphones. :D

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Congrats! Amazing that they appreciate in value.

5. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

Sweet! :cool:

I'm wondering why would someone pay that much for a used 5 when they can get a new 5c.

6. nikhsub1 thread starter macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Yes I am wise in the ways of ebay (and the scammers) but I have all my ducks in a row so I am covered.

----------

Dunno but I sold my 64GB white 4s last year when the 5 came out for $545 (also via ebay) and no issue.

7. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Maybe it is because the buyer prefers to have an aluminum outer case over a plastic outer case? :confused:

8. thedeske macrumors 6502a

A little common sense helps. Set up preferences for buyers history and lack of feedback limits, etc.

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I won't ask all the precautions you take because there are lots of threads out there that list them, but do you think you have anything that goes above and beyond what you normally see? (I know, very subjective question). :)

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Because the 5C is plastic and the 5C isn't 64gb.

11. dannyboy888 macrumors newbie

It's funny you write that since I almost bid on your iPhone.
    Ebay gave me that coupon for quadruple ebay bucks for only today so I was looking at your phone or another one. I ended up going with the other one since it was a buy it now for a price almost the same as yours.

I was actually surprised that the white iphone 5's were selling for $35 more than the black one I bought today in the same size.

For those of you considering selling your iPhones today, go and do it since there's probably a lot of ppl looking at phones because of that double, triple or quadruple ebay bucks deal.

12. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I don't doubt that that is a good price for the phone, but it was originally $849 + $99 for AppleCare, right? Even if you did buy it subsidized...

13. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Yeah man, until the bank says they got the money, don't go be bragging so much yet.

14. nas2344 macrumors member

15. dmystic1 macrumors regular

16. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Hi, you have seemed to do your research.

I have a question:

I have a White iPhone 5 32 GB Verizon with Applecare Plus (I was told VZW phones are unlocked). It is in mint condition and always had it in a case.

What can (should) I sell it for on eBay/Craigslist.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone else can answer if you like. I would appreciate it.

17. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

So u walked away with $487.xx.... $560-12.9% & - $0.30 (10% eBay + 2.9% Paypal)

As another member said, don't celebrate until 46days after...scammers know what they are doing as they have 45 days to do what they do best

----------

Always remember eBay + Paypal = 12.9% Total Fee's of what ever price you sell at, plus potential scammers can scam you up to 45 days from date of sale.

18. nikhsub1 thread starter macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

It was $560 + Shipping.. so I'm walking away with about $495 all said and done (shipped). Still not bad, much more than from nextworth ($317) or gazelle...

19. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

20. skafia macrumors 6502

skafia

Congrats! Word of advice, make sure you send that **** with delivery confirmation in case the buyer does a reversal on you and you'd be out of an iPhone. Happened to me, but PayPal took care of it (thanks to the delivery confirmation).

21. nikhsub1 thread starter macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Shipping FedEx with mandatory delivery signature :)

22. dannyboy888 macrumors newbie

I've been on both sides of the transaction. The best advice I can give you is do a search on ebay for your exact phone: White, 32 gb, Verizon, AppleCare+.

The Verizon iPhone is GSM unlocked so definitely list Factory Unlocked in the title in there.
    There's an option to show previously similar "Sold Items". That's where you can get a feel for what your item really sells for.

I usually don't list on Craigslist just because the flakiness factor. I like eBay but it costs you 13% in fees, but as a result, I don't have to worry about the buyer flaking on me by not showing up or trying to haggle on the price after the fact.

One other thing I usually do is Buy it Now. With that, if you go into Buyer Requirements, you can set a few parameters that should help you screen out some potential deadbeats. It allows you to block certain users if they have feedback ratings below 0 or any unpaid transactions within the last 6 months.

Then when you send the item, try to take some pictures of you packaging the item, the final package, and get insurance and delivery confirmation. Also get a picture of the IMEI/ESN. This may help you in case you the buyer tries to pull a scam on you by switching phones.

23. kowen14 macrumors member

Any other suggestions. Selling my 5 on eBay also. Well unless someone on craigslist contacts me before

24. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Thanks Satnam for the reminder of the fees.

----------

Thanks for the response dannyboy888! Especially about the "There's an option to show previously similar "Sold Items". I wasn't aware of that!

:)

25. nikhsub1 thread starter macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Ship fedex or ups with tracking and delivery signature and insurance!
    Only Sell within the US
    Only Sell to buyers with good feedback
    Document EVERYTHING - IMEI number, Serial number etc.
    Take pictures or video of the boxing / packaging process.

This makes it virtually impossible for them to scam / troll you...