Just sold my mac pro and will use the mbp as my maine machine!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Apr 26, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I just sold my mac pro on my sig and will use my mbp as my main machine. I noticed that either would be more than powerful enough for my usages.

I know for the past month you guys seen me posting and asking about whether to keep or sell the mac pro. So for the past week Ive used my mbp + 23" acd as my main machine and its more than fast enough! Also the I love the dual screen mode. And its nice to pocket the 4k! :)

Not to mention the portability when I need/want it. Also I bought OWC fw800 3.5" external hdd and installed a seagate barracuda 1 TB hdd in and works like a charm. Especially when you want to extract huge 15+ gb files I drag it onto the external hdd and let it do its job feels exactly the same as the mac pro. And I don't really use any pro apps so its plenty fast!

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Presumably, you could use some other machine in Delaware...

3. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

4. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

lol I knew that one was coming! Its the one curse of typing on the iphone spell check can mess u up sometimes! ;)

5. TaylorB macrumors regular

Sounds to me like you are pretty brave for doing this.. Good luck with the MBP. :)

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Depends on what you are doing, but the MBP's are very capable machines. I used one solely for months, until I came into some money and decided I would benefit from also having a desktop machine.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So you sold you the Mac Pro already or you selling it?

8. acarle208 macrumors member

might I ask why ? Didn't you just buy a 30 inch display?

9. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

MBP's can drive a 30 inch screen.

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

how are u liking the setup? I'm thinking of selling the imac and going for a 15" mbp loaded with a 23" ACD. THe only thing that's holding me back are a few things one is all those wires all over the place, hooking up and disconnecting them all the time. Second is hard drive space. only 250 GB isn't I want like 500 GB :eek:

11. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I love the setup and the wires arnt so bad at all! Still pretty clean and neat. I bought an mstand which has a hole in the middle where I can run through all the cables to use on the ports for my mbp.

The 23" ACD runs well with the mbp and when I want to go mobile I just disconnect and just take it with me. =D Very happy that I sold the mac pro as it is wayy overkill for what I do and the 1TB external hdd is enough for me for right now.

I bought a seagate barracuda 1tb with the NS ending model number and installed it into an owc mercury elite pro with fw800 and connected to the mbp runs very very fast! For huge files to extract (anywhere from 6gb-20gb, I just drag the file to the 1tb drive and let the seagate extract while I multitask on the mbp and works the same as the mac pro!

And not to mention to see the $4000 + back into the bank feels really great! :D

12. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I've sold it already and just shipped it to the lucky new owner today! :cool:

13. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I had the 30" ACD but the right side being brighter than the left bothered the hell out of me. So I took it in to the apple store showed the genius and he clearly saw the grey turn to white when dragged to the right side. So I just got a refund and was done with it. The 23" ACD is perfect for me anyways as the 30" was rather HUGE.

One funny thing is that just when I returned the 30" ACD the 23" looked puny but after a few days and now typing infront of the 23" ACD the 23" seems so huge again! How we perceive things is altered so easily...

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Oh well. I was looking to get a "new" desktop.