just sold my MBA and returning to the MBP Club

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zer0tails, Apr 11, 2009.

1. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

As the title says, I managed to sell my MBA today (was hard finding a buyer because of the economy) and am returning to the MBP club because well weight and thinness could never make up for the lack of power.

Gonna be putting in an order today for a 2.93 GHz unibody with 320GB 7200 rpm hard drive.

my question is regarding heat issues with the upgraded processor and faster hard drive, is there anything i should worried about?

appreciate your thoughts and let me say, it's good to be back! It'll be my first unibody :)

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I doubt there would be any real heat issues with the faster processor as long as its not taxed at 100% 24/7 in a bad environment (blocked vents, etc).

3. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Heat shouldn't be an issue. Nice choice of Mac. You'll enjoy it!

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Between the portables line up, MacBook Air is the worse when it comes to heat. With the MacBook Pro, it can still get hot but heat management is greatly improved from the previous MacBook Pro's. Like ayeying stated, if you're using it in the right environment and you're not putting a load on the CPU, you should be good.

5. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

thx guys. Well, I'll be taxing the machine for sure hence the reason I'm getting a powerful machine. However, I won't be taxing it to the max for like 4 hours straight so hopefully it will be alright. I'll be using it in an office environment i.e. no blocked vents.

6. midanekMBP macrumors newbie

Just got

The exact same machine a few days ago, and it runs great. Very quiet and absolutely no heat issues at all. Good luck with your new buy.

7. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

music to my ears :) first impressions? How long did it take to get to you from the moment you ordered it? If you don't mind me asking heh:p

8. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Which MBA and how much did it fetch? I'll be placing mine on eBay without Reserve. 1.86SSD.

9. midanekMBP macrumors newbie

ABT Electronics

I purchased it from a store in Illinois (ABT electronics). They ordered it from Apple on Tuesday night and told me 7-10 days. Got a call Thursday that it was ready for pick up.

10. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Congrats on the new machine.
    My dad has a Rev B MacBook Air and the performance is night and day between my MBP and the MBA. I have the 2.53 processor...never have had a heat issue. Heck, its actually cold to the touch most the time.

11. theimacdude macrumors member

theimacdude

12. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

hey everyone!

my macbook pro arrived today, 2 days ahead of schedule :D First impressions, this thing is gorgeous and hefty in a good way :p

It's very very fast too. Definitely can feel the difference from my MBA though it's not as quiet probably due to it not using a SSD.

all in all, happily setting it up now :)

13. ZenoVT macrumors regular

That was quick. I ordered mine on April 9th and it's still not here yet.

14. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

how come so slow? Mine was a CTO as well, though it's the 15" 17" orders might take longer

15. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I just joined the MBP club about 3 weeks ago, i got the refreshed 2.66ghz and so far i love it! :D I've yet to hear the fans even when I'm in a very quiet room in my house at night. I've used it on the road a few times and the portability is just fine for me. I love the power and the screen quality..... I'm more of a casual user not a power user i don't do any graphic or video work. I'm sure i would have been ok with a MacBook but being that this is my only computer i wanted something powerful and fully equipped. so far i am extremely satisfied :D

*Edit* i was coming from an iMac by the way and haven't missed the desktop at all

16. superscientific macrumors regular

Same here. Heat is really not too much of an issue on the 2.53 MBP. If you use Handbrake though the fans will crank up but nothing like the older MBP's. They used to burn my lap and was untouchable sometimes. I had a rev A 1.6 MBA and the lack of power killed me. Even though the form factor was great and portable it just did not work for me. I had to switch back to the MBP world. I am sure that 2.93 will be a great machine for this 2.53 has served me well.

17. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

glad to hear you guys are loving yours :) I am really liking mine as well. This isn't the first macbook i've had (white macbook 2 years back) but I think it definitely gets the award for best. The screen as you said is absolutely gorgeous. The glossiness hasn't bothered me. I don't hear the fans either just the HDD spinning, which is why I mentioned the ssd haha

will try and get some pictures up!

18. ZenoVT macrumors regular

Yeah, I ordered a CTO of the macbook pro 17". The wait is tearing me apart, haa.

19. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Yeah, I agree with this. My CPU is always in the 60-70c range. GPU can get up to mid 80's though..

20. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

I sold my SSD Rev B Air today too. I was sad to see it go, it is a phenomenal machine. I was using the stock MBP HDD for a little while, and man was I spoiled by the SSD in the Air. HDDs feel like molasses now.

21. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I agree on the HDD. However, I'm happy that i have so much more storage now. 128GB wasn't enough for me but it sure was zippy.

22. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Im going to pop out the Superdrive and out a 500gb in there, having a Rev A and then a Rev B Air has trained me to not need the optical drive. Then the MBP will be perfect with a faster SSD then the Air and way more storage.

23. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I had a rev B MBA with 1.86 GHz CPU and SSD. It was stolen, and I am trying to figure out how to replace it. I am considering a unibody MBP, but not because I don't think the MBA is fast but rather because I am expecting an update to it and feel like it's not as good of a buy now.

The thing I wonder about, is my MBA with SSD was really fast. I mean, it seemed to do everything faster than my MBP without SSD. I know intensive applications would be faster on the MBP, but really how could normal things be faster with a MBP if it didn't have an SSD?

Does your MBP have an SSD? It seems to me a MBP would be amazing with an SSD. I am thinking of the 2.4 GHz refurbished unibody MBP for $1699, then upgrade the drive to SSD. Although, I sure wish the 2.66 was more affordable, as in the long run 8 GB of memory will add a few years of life to that MBP you bought.

Anyways, congratulations on your MBP. That is absolutely beautiful. And two years from now, it will probably only cost $200 to upgrade the RAM to 8 GB.

Best wishes with it.

24. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

thanks scott. Sorry again to hear about your MBA getting stolen. No i don't have a SSD with my MBP, not yet at least. I didn't want to get Apple's samsung SSD as its not as good as the vertex or intel x-25.

In terms of being faster, it is when it comes to heavy multi-tasking and cpu intensive tasks. But if it was just web browsing then no, my mbp isn't faster than the MBA. Actually to clarify my earlier remark, what I miss about the SSD is the silence and lack of moving parts, not that my MBP is noisy but if you've had the SSD you know what i mean.

25. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Welcome to the "Pro" club Tails :p

I have never owned a "non-pro" Apple product such as a Mac Mini, MacBook, iMac... since the introduction of the classic MacBook Pro.

Only afford anything "Pro". :D

Mac Pro & MacBook Pro FTW!!!