Just sold Zune and soon to order iPod Touch 16GB

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chima07, Sep 19, 2008.

1. chima07 macrumors newbie

I have always been loyal to Microsoft/Dell and for some reason this Zune isn't up to my satisfaction, randomly turns off, bad battery life, poor organization of music and no wifi/games to play. Kind of a dud compared to Touch.

With that said, I'm going to order my Touch and was wondering is there a difference between the 2nd generation and 1st generation? I heard that there is a Christmas Model coming out?

Are there any certain cases you guys reccommend, something slim but protective. Also, I never used iTunes before or Mac for that matter, so that should be an experience. One last thing, when I put videos on my Zune it was somewhat simple. I bought Cucusoft converter, any converter that's easy for iPod Touch, and does anyone know the number of colors on the touch, is is like 16million? or 65,000?

Thanks, I have so many ???'s and did a search already.

2. chima07 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Size and weight
    Height: 4.3 inches (110 mm)
    Width: 2.4 inches (61.8 mm)
    Depth: 0.33 inch (8.5 mm)
    Weight: 4.05 ounces (115 grams)1

Capacity
    8GB, 16GB, or 32GB flash drive2
    Holds up to 1,750, 3,500, or 7,000 songs in 128-Kbps AAC format3
    Holds up to 10,000, 20,000, or 25,000 iPod-viewable photos4
    Holds up to 10 hours, 20 hours, or 40 hours of video5
    Wireless6
    Wi-Fi (802.11b/g)
    Nike + iPod support built in
    Maps location-based service7
    In the box

iPod touch
    Earphones
    USB 2.0 cable
    Dock adapter
    Polishing cloth
    Quick Start guide
    Environmental Status ReportiPod touch embodies Apple’s continuing environmental progress. It is designed with the following features to reduce environmental impact:

Arsenic-free glass
    Brominated flame retardant-free
    Mercury-free
    PVC-free
    Highly recyclable stainless steel enclosure
    Display
    3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display
    480-by-320-pixel resolution at 163 pixels per inch

Audio
    Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
    Audio formats supported: AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV
    Headphones

Earphones
    Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
    Impedance: 32 ohms

TV and video
    Support for 480p and 576p component TV out
    H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 3.0 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
    Languages
    17 languages supported: English, French, German, Japanese, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Russian, Polish
    30 international keyboards supported: English (US and UK), Czech, Danish, German, Spanish, Finnish, Estonian, French (France and Canada), Croatian, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese (QWERTY and Kana), Korean, Lithuanian, Latvian, Norwegian, Dutch, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil and Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Swedish, Turkish, Simplified Chinese (Handwriting and Pinyin), Traditional Chinese (Handwriting and Pinyin)
    19 dictionaries supported: English (US and UK), Danish, German, Spanish, Finnish, French (France and Canada), Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Dutch, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil and Portugal), Russian, Swedish, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
    Input and output

Dock connector
    3.5-mm stereo headphone jack

External buttons and controls
    Sleep/wake
    Volume up/down
    Home

Battery and power8
    Built-in rechargeable lithium ion battery
    Playback time
    Music playback time: Up to 36 hours when fully charged
    Video playback time: Up to 6 hours when fully charged

Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter (sold separately)
    Fast-charge time: about 2 hours (charges up to 80% of battery capacity)
    Full-charge time: about 4 hours
    Mac system requirements
    Mac computer with USB 2.0 port
    Mac OS X v10.4.10 or later
    iTunes 8 or later9
    Windows system requirements
    PC with USB 2.0 port
    Windows Vista or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later
    iTunes 8 or later9
    Environmental requirements
    Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
    Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F
    (-20° to 45° C)
    Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
    Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

I don't know of any other specs than what Apple has on their site.
    But as I own one of these myself, I can ASSURE you that it is one of the best and you will NOT be disappointed. At all. Trust me.

You'll be beyond happy hands down.

4. sir Mudkip macrumors member

sir Mudkip

Hi Chima, not sure about the colors on the screen, but I would advise you got get a agent 18 case for your iPod touch as they always seem to work a charm for my ipods.

The differences between first and second gen ipod touch is as followed:
    2nd gen has improved battery life

2nd gen has a more curved back, like the 3g iPhone while the 1st gen has a more flat back.

2nd gen has had its wifi receiver (black splotch on the back) moved towards the middle, while the first had it in the corner.

2nd gen has had price cuts

2nd gen has an inbuilt speaker (very weak but still a speaker)

As to my knowledge, there will be no "christmas model" as iPods are usually released cira either march or september. You may not fear, the only thing they could really do at the moment to improve it is to introduce a 64gb model/thicker hdd based models, but at the moment, the touch prefers to stay slim and Apple are waiting for flash memory prices to drop commercially.

Hope I helped!

5. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Also, to add onto the above poster, the 2nd gen iPod touch comes with volume controls as well plus support for headphones with a microphone or apple's new headphones with volume controls, a microphone, and a button to switch songs (although I don't know if they come with it).

6. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

also: the new touch has dual caps out so very little if at all of bass roll off which plagues zune and most (95%) of audio players on the market now. still the wonderful wide stereo separation that ipods have always enjoyed but an output that has nearly no hiss yet remains as thick and resolved even down past 25hz

7. chima07 thread starter macrumors newbie

!!!!!!!!!!THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES!!!!!!!!!!

Just letting you guys know, I'll be hooking this up to my dvd player in my car. I will get pics soon enough, 1 week :)
    Will be a much more nicer upgrade from the Zune. I'm for sure getting the 2nd gen 16gb Zune, unless I see a killer price on a 32gb, ebay ftw.

8. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

I'm sorry :rolleyes:

9. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

i'm confused. you're going from a zune to a..... zune? you must mean ipod right?

10. chima07 thread starter macrumors newbie

:rolleyes:

sigh, yea, no sleep can do this to ya

11. chima07 thread starter macrumors newbie

hahah, at least I'm making the switch, a little.

12. greg555 macrumors 6502a

The two big differences from the 1st gen are the speaker and the side volume control.

The speaker isn't hi-fi but is very useful for playing games or showing someone a video clip.

The side volume control is great for adjusting the sound level without having to pull the iPod from your pocket and look at the screen.

Greg

13. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

In small and token support for your old Zune, the 3.0 update does include games, does add wifi connection to the Zune marketplace, still allows wifi syncing, and still allows wifi sharing between Zunes. It's also a free update. You might get it for your old Zune even if you do get a new iPod Touch. I compared (on my blog) the Zune 3.0 with the new Nano 4th gen, and the Zune looks like a more capable and useful player (than the Nano).