Just some thoughts WHY Apple wouldn´t offer a bigger screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pulsedriver81, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Pulsedriver81 macrumors member

I am all for a bigger screen and I hope and believe there will be an iPhone 5 presented today. I can present a ton of reasons why there should be a bigger screen.

BUT I like to think objectivly and tried to think of reasons why they wouldn´t offer a bigger screen. Here is what I came up with:

* Assistant - If Apple is pushing this "service" as the most important feature, then it is also possible they will try to convince everyone that you don´t need a bigger screen for typing (because now you can interact with speech)

* Needs to be user friendly with one hand. Apple is all about UI and that it should be user friendly. A bigger screen "CAN" make the UI harder to interact with one hand if it´s to large.

* Would they offer a bigger screen even if they had to reduce the dpi? (assuming they keep the same resolution)

* They want to be different from Android manufacturers (Think different)

* Will a bigger screen mean worse battery life? (assuming it is the same kind of screen they use today)

* The size of the phone will become to large (Doesn´t match Apples opinion of what size a phone should have)

* Don´t change what isn´t broken (If IP4 still is considered one of the most beautiful designs of a smartphone today, why should they change it?)

These are just some thoughts that I have. Still...The reasons I have WHY they should offer a bigger screen are more stronger, but that you can read about all over the forum.

2. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Tbh I don't want a bigger screen... The iPhone 4's size is perfect.

3. Robby S macrumors member

Simple...most people don't even need a screen that's the size it is now, let alone any larger. WANTING something is entirely different.

4. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

With the current Smartphone market being 4">, Apple would be really dumb to release a new dual-core competing device that lacks one thing that the others have. My thought is they will have a 4"> screen and crush the others in terms of battery life and design. I feel Jobs will go out with a big bang here.

5. JustCrusin macrumors member

I think they NEED to offer a bigger screen to be competitive. With all of the media outlets saying they are introducing a bigger screen I thin it will be a big hit to the stock if they don't. IMO.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

can we please just hold all speculation for the next four hours?

7. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

all the other smartphones have bigger screens, it would only make sense for Apple to make it a little bigger

im for a bigger screen

8. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Can Apple make same screen res with same form factor and screen size as the Atrix? The Atrix is perfect size and almost same size as the iPhone 4 in form factor.

9. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

Why? Speculation is fun and keeps the board moving and lively. If you don't like the speculation and rumors (on a "rumors" site no less), you have the option of not opening the threads and reading them. I enjoy reading all the rumors, speculation, wild guesses and whatnot. It's fun and entertaining. Almost like wondering if Santa is going to bring you that Stretch Armstrong you so desperately want or if you are getting another pack of tighty whities again this year. Relax and enjoy the show!

10. auxsend macrumors regular

I still believe that if Apple holds on the 3.5 inch screen, it's going to come to a point where more often then not, the average person will walk into a store, see the screens, wonder why the iPhone looks like a kids phone, and then get a droid. It's going to happen. A lot of average consumers go by the most obvious visual cues.

11. kolax macrumors G3

I'd love a 4.0" to 4.5" screen on my phone. Means I could browse the web better without having to keep zooming in, be able to watch videos better on commutes, games that utilised the bigger screen would be more engaging and the keyboard could be scaled slightly bigger too to allow for better typing when autocorrect doesn't save the day.

I'm not concerned about the size of the device. I've got big enough pockets, and those who want a smaller device, I doubt Apple would solely make a 4.5" device, they'd on with the 3.5" one too.

12. KingKrown macrumors newbie

13. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Some very good reasons presented here. I do agree. A bigger screen would give the iPhone a good refresh for sure, but I do use my phone with one hand and Im pretty confident that if its too big, ill drop it.

Thats what she said.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

A better and more logical reason is that if they don't increase width AND height of the screen - then apps won't scale properly.

15. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Hey, n00b...who are you to tell people what they need?