Just switched from PC to Mac and am in need of software. What to buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ogdogg, Jul 15, 2009.

1. ogdogg macrumors 6502

I think I've decided that Photoshop CS4 Extended is a must for photo editing but what about burning cd's or whatever else I might get the need to do? I've found iMovie to not be sufficient for my needs but am not sure what is the best out there. When I search, everyone has a different program to recommend. What are the must haves for someone making the switch?

2. jimmyjoemccrow macrumors 6502

Disk Utility is in Applications - Utilities and while its not stunning, it is part of your OS and therefore costs nothing extra. For burning that is.

3. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

iTunes can burn audio CDs and Disk Utility can burn regular discs (as can the Finder) but if you want more control, similar to what you'd find in Nero, try Burn.

If you really want something Nero-like, there's always Toast.

MacUpdate's Hot Picks are a good place to go if you want what is generally considered the best of the best. Also make sure to check out the other apps under "OTHER PEOPLE SUGGEST" under the review scores on each individual app's page, you might find a free alternative that suits your needs better.

4. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

iDVD burns, too. If that's the kind of DVD you're talking about. :rolleyes:

5. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

a productivity suite such as microsoft office. or iwork, if you want to explore the world of apple. you can also go the way of free word processors such as open and neooffice

6. ogdogg thread starter macrumors 6502

I think toast sounds good. As a mac user, what do you prefer iWork or office?

7. tylerdn macrumors newbie

VLC Player for Mac. The only video player you will ever need and for any platform.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What you should buy is what you need. Your Mac comes bundled with a nice starter set of software. For your needs not satisfied by the bundled software, you may find 95% of the software available by searching VersionTracker.com and MacUpdate.com. There you will find titles for freeware, shareware, and commercial software that meets your needs.

9. Steve-M macrumors regular

OpenOffice works well for me.

10. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

iWork without a doubt.

11. Zortrium macrumors 6502

OpenOffice is a perfectly good (and free) substitute for Word. I bought iWork almost exclusively for Keynote, which is far superior to PowerPoint. I don't really use spreadsheets, so I can't speak to Excel alternatives. Between iWork and OpenOffice, I haven't missed not having MS Office on my machine for several years now.