Just switched to ATT and got the 3G[S], have a question about "unlimited" data??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vader1990, Jun 29, 2009.

1. vader1990 macrumors regular

Hi,

My Family and I recently switched to AT&T and I got the iPhone 3G. The guy at the store told me that I needed to pay an extra $30 a month for the "unlimited" data plan, which covered unlimited data on the internet. I agreed and got the phone.

Yesterday, I tried to d-load, Tap Tap Revenge 2.6, and it says that since its over 10MB, I need to connect to Wi-Fi! What gives? I thought I was unlimited? Did they lie to me? Also is there a "limit" to how much web browsing or app downloading or e-mailing I do per month?

Thanks for clearing this up for me!

2. Stunod7 macrumors member

Stunod7

I believe that limit is just imposed on cellular downloads. They don't want people downloading big apps over cellular and over 10 meg you have to go wireless or sync with your desktop.

3. Versus macrumors member

It means they don't want you clogging up the 3G network. Some games and apps are over 100MB. If everyone started DLing huge files like there would never be any phone calls made. ;)

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

They don't want you tying up the network for dls from the app store. They didn't lie to you. You'll have no limits with anything else, except from the app store (and only if you are not on wi-fi).

5. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Its just to limit bandwith people are using at one time. YOu have no cap as far as I know. In cellular data services, 10MB of data at once is kind of high, and with all the people with iPhones on ATT, if everyone downloaded 10MB of data at once ATT would likely shut down. They are jjst trying to make sure the bandwith is large enough for all users at once.

I just downloaded "Hero of Sparta" on my iPhone. Thats a 90MB app. That 10MB cap is to make sure that 90MB apps cant be downloaded too. You just have to go on WIFI (because you are on that connection, not ATT bandwith) or your computer (for the same reason.)

You were not lied to :)

Enjoy your new phone.

6. Lenxal macrumors regular

To put it simple.. It is unlimited. It just wants you to connect to wi-fi because it is a huge file, it never said there was a cap.