Just switched to Verizon and now I'm wondering how I lived with AT&T for three years

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jeejeebu, Jul 8, 2011.

1. jeejeebu macrumors regular

I am moving out of AT&T's coverage area at the end of this month, so I decided to switch to Verizon before the unlimited data goes away. I am completely amazed. 3G is super fast. I have had AT&T for three years, and two iPhones (3G and 4), and I have never seen speed like this. Checking email is instantaneous. A video call over Skype doesn't drop or get fuzzy or out of sync. I can watch an entire Netflix movie without it just stopping in the middle and wait for it to remember to buffer.

I haven't used it much for voice yet, but the test will be when I have my weekly phone call with my dad on Sunday. He always complains that he can't hear me, so we'll see if he can hear the difference now.

I have never been someone who complained about AT&T. I have always lived in metro areas that I thought got pretty good AT&T coverage. My iPhone 3G was the first smartphone I ever had, so I never realized that data speeds should be any different. Now I know the truth.

2. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Cool. How's your Verizon bill compared to AT&T? Ill probably switch when the iPhone gets LTE support. (next year I presume)

3. jeejeebu thread starter macrumors regular

Before taxes and discounts they are the same. $39.99 for 450 minutes for both, $15 for 1500 texts with AT&T, $10 for 500 texts with Verizon (both more than I need, but I need more than 200), $25 for 2GB data with AT&T and $29.99 for unlimited with Verizon.

I had a corporate discount on AT&T that brought the total bill, with tax, down to $70.70 a month. I'm a bit sad that I'm losing that, but I should be able to get a university discount through Verizon. It probably won't be as good as my current discount, but I can swallow the $15 or so difference.

My original plan was to wait for 2012 to switch, but where I'm moving for school, AT&T does not work at all. But, of course, they show that they have towers, and I actually could get 3 or 4 bars in most places, but whatever coverage I was receiving didn't work. So I had to switch.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Glad you are liking VZ. It really comes down to where you are located.

5. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

recently switched as well super happy about loosing att.

6. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

Netflix doesn't stream well for me on Verizon 3G data for me in my location compared to AT&T 3G. But Verizon 4G LTE works great with Netflix. If you get better speed in your location with Verizon 3G data, you did the right thing in switching. Congrats!!!!

7. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Finally, someone that "gets' it".

You are 100% correct, and one who obviously understands how cell phone networks function.

The proper way to choose a carrier is not based on what phones they carry, but by looking at their coverage maps, talking to people you know in your area, and choosing accordingly.

I've been using both Verizon and AT&T concurrently for years. They are both very good.

It all depends on the area you are in. Some areas are strong for one and not the other, then again other areas, have good coverage from both carriers. It's a location based situation.

8. jeejeebu thread starter macrumors regular

Well, now I hope Verizon remains as fast when I move. (Though any service is better than the non-existent service from AT&T, so it's still the right choice.)

But, to be clear, I have lived with AT&T in two different major (well, one is major, the other is top 20) metropolitan areas, plus traveled with my iPhone to other areas, both metropolitan and not. While I'm sure there are some places where AT&T works great, and places where Verizon doesn't, I have never seen 3G on AT&T work like this.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Verizon definitely has a larger 3G network, though I can't say 3G speeds everywhere are what you would expect (did a speed test on VZW and it came out to 69kbps :eek: ) but apparently you can take a roadtrip from MA to FL and not lose 3G service on VZW.

It's definitely larger.

10. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

That's what happened to us. We were with Verizon for a long time since they took over AirTouch. We were very happy Verizon until we bought a new house. When we moved in, the phone coverage was so bad, our batteries wouldn't last an hour from searching for a phone signal. However, Verizon's customer service in dealing with the issue. They let us try several other phones, but it didn't work out. They were kind enough to discontinue our service with no penalty. I am still a Verizon customer, but only for data.

11. jeejeebu thread starter macrumors regular

That sounds like the polar opposite of AT&T. They won't even consider discounting the early termination fee at all. But selling my AT&T phone should cover the early termination fee, plus most of the cost of the new phone.

12. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I haven't had any issues yet with AT&T to deal with their Customer Service yet, but I was very happy how Verizon handled our issue.

13. xMClass macrumors 6502

I recently switched from AT&T to Verizon also and I'm loving it. I have strong signal everywhere I go now, no more dropped calls and any of that nonsense I got with AT&T.

14. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

+1. I've made the switch approximately 4 months ago. Best decision ever.

15. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

I'm glad the OP made the right decision for himself, not based on what you think you should do for the sake of having an iPhone. I'm glad the iPhone is offered on Verizon and hope it eventually comes to Sprint too (T-Mo, maybe, although not too sure about that with the different 3G network), especially since you're gonna be at school and definitely need good service. I had to deal with horrible AT&T service my freshmen year of college using an LG 3G phone, and when I came back in the fall for sophomore year ready to get Verizon since my contract was up, AT&T put up two towers. Service was dope. Then the iPhone 3G dropped and the rest was history. Besides at my parent's home in the hills where it's a dead area for virtually every carrier, I haven't had a problem with AT&T. However, I feel it's very important to check how all carriers function in an area you're moving to in order to get the best service for your money.

And I think it should be a law that requires carriers to terminate a contract if a customer can prove their service was worsened in the new area in which they've moved. My 2¢...

16. SR71 macrumors 68000

Check HERE to see if you're eligible for a discount through your employer. Verizon offers a lot of discounts, some even up to 23% which is the highest I've seen so far. :)

17. jeejeebu thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, I know. The problem is Verizon requires more verification than AT&T. My pay stub goes through a third party and my ID just has my name, no company on it. AT&T just requires you to verify that you are using an email address from the company's domain.

18. SR71 macrumors 68000

The bolded part is definitely true. I've been driving every year for the past 10 years from MA to FL by car (yes its a long drive) and on the way to FL, I have never lost 3G service or voice service, other than through tunnels that go through small mountains, although on the route that I take to get from MA to FL, there is only one tunnel that goes through a small mountain, but even in the tunnel I still get 1 bar of EDGE which is enough to make a voice call (although voice quality isn't very good, or it takes a 10-15 seconds for the call to even initiate, but it does work.

19. kleinias macrumors regular

With Verizon (at least in my experience) it's pretty much the same. You just need to have an email address from your employers domain.

Try this link instead:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/employee-discounts-email-authentication.shtml

20. jeejeebu, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011

jeejeebu thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I have to wait until Monday to see if it worked. The other link would just take me to a page asking me to scan or fax a copy of my badge or pay stub.

ETA: Checked with my school account, and it's 18%, vs the 27% I currently have with AT&T. Hopefully my company has a comparable deal with Verizon and I can sign up before my last day (one more week!) and lose access to my work email. Though I'll be happy either way. My discount on AT&T through my undergrad university was only 10%. It basically just covered taxes and government fees.

21. scootaru macrumors 6502

I also recently switched and I am quite happy. I averaged 3-5 dropped calls per day with AT&T. I haven't had a dropped call yet with Verizon. However, I have noticed the call quality suffers greatly on Verizon when the signal is low. AT&T simply drops the call when the signal drops.

22. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

What State do you live in? I've never experienced the level of problems people usually post about... I've had AT&T in NY, CT, FL and now MN with no problems whatsoever.

23. wordoflife, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Not gonna lie, but that's pretty awesome.
    I have AT&T and certainly remember dropping to Edge and sometimes no service as I drove from south Florida to Georgia.

AT&T works great where I live though, so that's why I have no complains. I only really care about what kind of service I get at home so that's why I haven't switched, since I hardly go on road trips and most places in the US that I would go to are [major] cities that probably have AT&T.

Still, to be perfectly honest ... I'm impressed and it would certainly be nice if AT&T had that.

24. jeejeebu thread starter macrumors regular

Currently in So. Cal, formerly in So. FL. I always thought I had no issues with AT&T. Other than when visiting the college town I'm moving to, I've never experienced a lot of dropped calls, and I usually have 3G. For me, it seems to just be the quality of the coverage I'm receiving, at least here in So. Cal. The 3G is faster, at least. I can't really comment on the voice yet.

25. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I am a AT&T customer that agrees also. When we drive to Las Vegas... I am mostly on edge. I had to connect my iPhone to my Verizon mifi to use the GPS to see the map. AT&T 3G isn't that great in Vegas either. That's my only gripe with AT&T. AT&T 3G isn't great when I travel. That being said, my Verizon 3G data isn't perfect either. I sometimes have unusable Verizon 3G, and faster AT&T 3G in the same location. As far as calls, I don't have issues with dropped calls at home and when I travel.

I also agree on what you said on the only thing care about is what kind of service you get at home. I would have stayed with Verizon when we moved to our new house, but sometimes like using my iPhone as a phone. Talk about dropped calls... most of the time I couldn't receive calls where I live. Just because one carrier works great for one person in their location... doesn't mean another person is going to have the same experience in another location.