Just talked to my local Radio Shack: NOT doing Preorders!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wishman35, Jun 14, 2010.

1. wishman35 macrumors regular

Now just take this with a grain of salt and it may be different across the country, but I guess Radioshack found out what they were doing for the iPhone 4 and they told me the following:

They are not doing preorders. The reason she gave was because Apple cannot guarantee enough stock to provide for all of the stores if they did preorders. Instead she said they are going to be taking names down tomorrow and giving you a "code" in which you will be able to redeem one when they do come in.

She clarified... NOT GUARANTEED ON LAUNCH.

For those who paid $50 already or were planning to, give your local store and make them clarify if there will be a guarantee!

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Owners of RadioShack franchises have a lot of freedom to do as they wish with their store. I expect it will be vastly different based on your location.

3. Built macrumors 68020

This is kind of the same deal that was just related to me by Best Buy. If you are 15 in line to pre-order, and only 10 phones come in on launch day, you don't get one. No guarantees. I would much prefer to purchase from Best Buy than Radioshack or Apple, though.

4. wishman35 thread starter macrumors regular

I am starting to think I would rather just order from Apple or ATT direct online and have it delivered to my door.

I hate when the ATT store reps and Best Buy people get there grubby paws on my phone. When the 3G came out, the ATT worker was prodding at my new phone with the sim tool and dropped my phone, and wasn't phased by it at all.

Bastard

5. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Yeah I got my 3GS from best buy and they tried to take it out of the box... I said no thanks I will activate it at home thanks

6. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

Tell that to the guy who posted that he already preordered one there

7. Built macrumors 68020

That would DEFINITELY bug me, Wishman.

I think I have pretty much settled on ordering from Apple and having it delivered.

8. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

I was just at RS and the girl said they are not doing pre-orders yet the other night the girl on the phone (same!?) said they were. She said they are not even carrying it but I can go onto the website and order it. :confused:

9. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I'm not sure if this is true, but I know that no one in the stores had exact information until some time this evening, so that would explain you getting a different story today.

My friend manages a store, so I'll let you know when I find out for sure.

10. Mac512-1987 macrumors newbie

This seems to be very true. After dealing with a local RS, I think there are work arounds that the store will stick to...at least this one has in the past.

11. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I will also say, as I have in other threads, that I don't really like or trust Radio Shack very much. My friend manages a store, and I know he does his best to be honest and takes care of his customers, but the company as a whole is pretty sleazy.

The fact that they were tacked on as a seller of the iPhone pretty late makes me think they are the low man on the totem pole. If Apple starts to get close to capacity for launch day, Radio Shack would probably be the first to get no phones.

12. Mac512-1987 macrumors newbie

A totem pole many others wanted to be on, but weren't selected. Not vouching for RadioShack and their normally overpriced, overpressured sales operations, but they've been in business since the signing of the declaration (happy Flag Day).

13. robertpetry macrumors 6502

robertpetry

I spoke with the managers of two Radio Shacks tonight and they explained their process.

1st that they are not doing a true "pre-order" and are reserving the phones instead. She said the reserve starts at 1 pm EDT and there is no money down. They are reserving them on a first come/first serve basis and offering a $20 accessory credit with each line. Finally, she said the phones would be in-store between the 24th and the 27th, most likely the 24th but no promises.

14. robertpetry macrumors 6502

robertpetry

15. Built macrumors 68020

When some others reported that RS took their "preorders" a few days ago, that should have been a giant red flag for all those who believed that RS is a reliable retailer.

To accept "preorders" early would no doubt violate the sales agreement they have made with Apple and ATT.

The fact that RS are individually owned and operated can also be problematic as they can be quirky.