Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Hi guys. As you know in the past I test drove one but it was a dummy version.

Now at best buy I test drove a REAL one.

First impressions: WAY too big to hold. It requires two hands to hold and isnt pragmatic. I believe that a phone should be sized so that it is more hand friendly than eye friendly.

Second impressions: It collects a lot of grease. I dont think they use an oleophobic coating on it. Very disgustingly greasy. This makes it not very fun to use or even look at.

Third impressions: The software is laggy and it has bugs in it. For example, the auto screen dim and bright wasn't working. As soon as I switched to Internet the screen would get dim for no reason.

Other impressions:

Weight: OK not bad

Screen size: Don't need such a big one

Holding: Too big for hands

Width: too wide

Height: too tall

Any questions please feel free to ask. You can also PM if you have any questions.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
I also had a GS3 before trading it for an iPhone 5. I really liked the screen, but had the same impression with the software. The browser wasn't as good as the iPhone and I just missed the iMessage integration so I traded it.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California

First impressions: WAY too big to hold. It requires two hands to hold and isnt pragmatic. I believe that a phone should be sized so that it is more hand friendly than eye friendly.

Second impressions: It collects a lot of grease. I dont think they use an oleophobic coating on it. Very disgustingly greasy. This makes it not very fun to use or even look at.

Third impressions: The software is laggy and it has bugs in it. For example, the auto screen dim and bright wasn't working. As soon as I switched to Internet the screen would get dim for no reason.

Other impressions:

Any questions please feel free to ask. You can also PM if you have any questions.
This is rather meaningless drivel. No one can possible form an intelligent opinion much less have any true experience with a phone after a "test drive" as you put it.

The purpose of your post is clearly to identify yourself as an Android hater. You have wasted your time.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
This is rather meaningless drivel. No one can possible form an intelligent opinion much less have any true experience with a phone after a "test drive" as you put it.

The purpose of your post is clearly to identify yourself as an Android hater. You have wasted your time.

I actually owned it for several weeks. If you or anyone else have any questions about it, feel free to ask. I switched back because I like the iMessage integration and iOS still seems more polished.

x5tuu

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
i assume you mean a Galaxy 4?!? 3 has been out quite some time??! or am I being silly??

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011

If you cant figure out whether you like a smartphone or not after 2 weeks of using, then you should never own a smartphone. You have to be smart to own a smartphone.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005

How do you expect people to buy a phone then? Isn't this how people buy ANYTHING?

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
If you cant figure out whether you like a smartphone or not after 2 weeks of using, then you should never own a smartphone. You have to be smart to own a smartphone.

The OP of this thread "owned" the smartphone for all of a few minutes inside a Best Buy demo booth.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida

As soon as I hold the smartphone, I will know right off if its going to be a go or no go. Using the phone in one hand or not will put me right off if its too big or wide, so no point in going further. If the phone is slick shinny plastic, that to is something I would not prefer either.

Thanks OP for the post ;)

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
The OP of this thread "owned" the smartphone for all of a few minutes inside a Best Buy demo booth.

Then I apologize. maxosx is right.

----------

I apologize for a previous post. I thought he owned it for a few weeks. You are absolutely right.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Yeah when the iphone comes with a 4.+ screen lets see if its "too big" for you guys too ;)

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010

Other impressions:

My guess is this post was just a draft you had since the GS3 was coming out and you were trying to update the title to GS4 but you hit Submit by accident.

I know I shouldn't feed this troll, but hopefully this thread will get locked. No redeeming information.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Thanks for giving us your thoughts, I'll be sure to PM you more questions if I think of anything not covered in your review.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint

Other impressions:

1. Size is a personal preference and if you don't like the size of the S3, there are tons of other devices that fit your requirements. You can't give the S3 a negative comment about size, because you have other options from Samsung and others.

2. You used a demo model that has been touched by thousands of people and mishandled and you expect the anti-grease coating to still be on there 9 months later? You see the same issue with demo iPhone as well.

3. Again, a nearly 1 year old demo unit having software issues, with thousands of people playing with it? iPhone fair better on this issue by the inherent closed software nature of it. Just like demo PC's are many times placed into a demo mode to prevent users from messing with it too much. Android phones are exactly like mini PC's, in that they can have the software side corrupted causing all sorts of issues.
This is a known factor and placing a blanket statement based on 5 minutes of use on an old demo unit speaks to you bias. Your personal opinions are yours, and that is fine, but I'm not sure you are qualified to give advice on the subject of the S3 or Android OS.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I can tell you walked into it with a negative attitude to begin with. You were also playing with a phone that 300 other people a day have handled and played with.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
1. Size is a personal preference and if you don't like the size of the S3, there are tons of other devices that fit your requirements. You can't give the S3 a negative comment about size, because you have other options from Samsung and others.

2. You used a demo model that has been touched by thousands of people and mishandled and you expect the anti-grease coating to still be on there 9 months later? You see the same issue with demo iPhone as well.

3. Again, a nearly 1 year old demo unit having software issues, with thousands of people playing with it? iPhone fair better on this issue by the inherent closed software nature of it. Just like demo PC's are many times placed into a demo mode to prevent users from messing with it too much. Android phones are exactly like mini PC's, in that they can have the software side corrupted causing all sorts of issues.
This is a known factor and placing a blanket statement based on 5 minutes of use on an old demo unit speaks to you bias. Your personal opinions are yours, and that is fine, but I'm not sure you are qualified to give advice on the subject of the S3 or Android OS.

1. But the size isn't good. Trust me on this as I have test drove one in the store.

2. This was much more greasier than my iPhone 5 has ever gotten. I use my iPhone 5 a lot and it isn't nearly as greasy.

3. iPhone 5 doesn't have any bugs. I don't know why android do the same.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
1. But the size isn't good. Trust me on this as I have test drove one in the store.

2. This was much more greasier than my iPhone 5 has ever gotten. I use my iPhone 5 a lot and it isn't nearly as greasy.

A floor model, held by hundreds of people, was greasier? I wonder why? Children especially have the cleanest hands!

iPhone 5- all iPhones, have bugs. They are usually launched with bugs, and then over the next year receive multiple updates to try to fix the bugs, and then eventually a new iOS rolls out and the cycle repeats.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

How many other dozens/hundreds of people have handled your phone?

Sorry, but every piece of hardware and software ever made has bugs. Are Apple now releasing iOS releases with bugfixes for non-existant bugs? :rolleyes:

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey

I have to agree with this sentiment. When I first saw the rMBP I honestly wasn't all that impressed. I bought it a week ago even though I wasn't blown away by it in the store and now I'm beginning to get the real feel of the machine and can appreciate the entire design concept and build.

Spending a few minutes or even a couple of hours with a phone that hundreds or even thousands of people may have touched and messed around with will never give you a true feel for what it really is and what it can or can't do.

As you said maxosx, drivel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.