Just took an InvisibleShield off, screen a lil frictiony?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amazingdm, Jul 7, 2010.

1. amazingdm macrumors 6502

So I've had an IS on the front screen since I bought the iPhone 4 on the 24th..
    but, while the touch sensitivity was smooth.. I got annoyed at the dust collection and tons of little marks/scratches that already accumulated.

But now the screen is a bit frictiony, like if I drag a finger across it it's more prone to sticking. Is that residue from the IS? If so will it disappear?

2. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

It's either that or you potentially damaged the oleophobic coating...

3. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

doubt I damaged the coating.

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Its residue

5. kaelell macrumors 6502

I would of gone with the Olephoebic coating loosing its charm. But by no means would that theory be based on fact or experience. I hope you get your lovely naked feel back, as I agree with your points on the IS and am in a similar situation.

6. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

I had the same thing. I used a baby wipe and now it's slick as snot.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Personally, I find IS overpriced and overmarketed. Much prefer the "generic" $2 protectors (been using them since my first Palm phone circa 2001). But the good thing about IS is that they do come with a lifetime guarantee, so I'd contact Zagg. They will send you out a replacement.

Don't worry, no harm has come to your iP4 itself.

8. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Yea I fell for the IS. I got it on real good but couldn't stand the orange peel look. I replaced it with an SGP Steinheil EX Ultra Crystal and think it's the best one yet. The hard film is great!

9. iPhisch macrumors 6502

my IS on the front is perfect, but the one on the back seems to have shrunk and doesn't fut under the bumper cover. 3 of the 4 edges are now a little fuzzy. i'm going to wait a few weeks until zagg hopefully makes a new batch and get a replacement.

on and don't use an alcohol to remove any residue, it can ruin the olephoebic coating for sure.

10. mubo macrumors regular

mine looks like its shrunk on the front. will get a new one when they get the size right.

11. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

This is why Apple stopped selling screen protectors, they are entirely pointless, the glass is scratch resistant enough if you take care, and having a coating defeats the purpose of oleophobic coating and the smoothness

12. army91c macrumors 6502a

Who cares, it wares off in a few months anyway. Worthless on the iPhone IMHO.

Because the glass can't be scratched :rolleyes: Actually, in my experience, the glass scratches rather easily. A second of stupidity (tossing keys/pipe in pocket with phone, dropping ect ect.) can easily cause a scratch.

13. iPhisch macrumors 6502

14. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

When I had the zagg on my phone 3GS and it did the same thing at first. Then I had weird spots on the screen too. Screen felt normal after I cleaned it but you could see the spots or "cloud". I can only assume that the coating they put on the glass may have been messed up. I will never use one of those screen protectors again.

15. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I'd say too that the coating is coming off. This was the reason cited by Apple when they banned full screen protectors from their store. Said that screen protectors would take the oleophobic coating off with them when removed.

16. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

It's weird, now that it's off my screen feels like super smooth glass. Haven't felt it like this before. Saw an iPhone 4 at the AT&T store and it already had a TON of scratches. Most noticeably on the black parts but all over. Maybe I'll get a zagg skin for back and top/bot black pieces of the front but does that mess with the proximity sensor?

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No, I have a ZAGG IS on mine and the proximity sensor is fine.

18. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

Zaggskin not is. A zaggskin would have a design

19. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I don't think it would leave residue, because I don't think there is any adhesive. It simply sticks with soapy water.

20. kaelell macrumors 6502

I Do like the zagg cover because of the ease in applying it, its the only screen protecter Ive ever used where there are no bubbles what so ever under the surface.
    However "invisible" as the name suggests they are not, its also the most obvious protector because of the cheap, rubbery, blurry look you get to the surface when viewed at an angle.

And then I like the fact that they dont get finger prints quite so easily, however when you do they are far harder to wipe clean, stuck in 2 minds.

21. computermilk macrumors 6502

Yeah you can get a screen cleaning spray from any computer store.

Use that and it will be back to normal.

22. computermilk macrumors 6502