Just took the back cover off of my 15" 2016.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mcpryon2, Jun 6, 2017.

1. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502a

mcpryon2

Whhhhheeeeeewwww! What a pain. My fingers hurt from trying to be gentle and my nerves are on edge. I don't have those Rossmann-size balls when it comes to my own stuff, I guess.

Anyway, have many people have done this yet? Mine is two months old and was already caked with dust. I usually clean the insides of my own machines (as well as many work ones) every couple of months and this isn't encouraging. Or is this not "normal" behavior?

For the first time ever I would be happy taking it in to have it cleaned. For zero dollars, of course.

Side note: I noticed that reseating the screws gets rid of the creaking noise the case makes...for a while.

2. Macaman macrumors member

How the heck did you remove the lower case at the place close to the hinges? I succeeded to remove the clamps on both the the sides of the lower case. Then I think you are suppose to somehow slide the lower case forward in the direction of the trackpad, but its not even budging for me. I don't dare to use too much force either:(

3. mcpryon2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mcpryon2

Yeah, it's a bear. There are a couple of clips on the sides, then you need to use a suction cup to release two clamps in the middle-ish area of the back cover, then lift the cover up and slide it forward. They really don't want people just popping that baby off.

4. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

That's why Apple has a special fixture designed for just this task.